CSU-LSAMP recognizes the need to ensure graduate program matriculation of a larger number of its own LSAMP graduates and to work collaboratively with the national LSAMP community to ensure graduate program matriculation of a larger number of the 25,000+ baccalaureate degree recipients produced by LSAMP institutions. To address this need, CSU-LSAMP was provided NSF support for eight “Bridge to the Doctorate” activities with the most recent funding (HRD-1026102) cycle to begin in Fall 2010 at Cal State LA.
San Francisco State University (SFSU) served as the site for two of the BD activities (BD-1 and BD-4) and California State University, Los Angeles served as the site for four of the BD activities (BD-2, BD-3, BD-5 and BD-6) and will host BD-8 beginning in Fall 2010. California State University, Northridge (CSUN) serves as the graduate institutional site for BD-7.
BD Program Elements
Typically, CSU-LSAMP BD projects provide financial, academic and personal support for a cohort of 12 LSAMP BD Fellows admitted to Masters level degree programs in STEM at the designated graduate institutional site.
Specifically, the projects provide each student a substantial stipend (currently $30,000/year) for up to two years and provide an institutional allowance of $10,500/student/year for up to two years for educational costs.
In addition, the projects provide a focused program of educational and personal support, including:
- orientation to and advising in the Masters program;
- intensive mentoring of research at the Masters level;
- a workshop series and writing support;
- teaching internship experiences;
- support of conference participation;
- community activities; and
- facilitating linkages to Ph.D. Programs and their NSF programs (e.g. AGEP and GRFP) which can provide support during the third year and beyond.
*Bridge to the Doctorate Activities are contingent upon annual funding from the National Science Foundation.