Teaching Institute 2017
Equity and Enhanced Student Learning Through Course Redesign
Summer Teaching Institute Information:
May 22, 23, 24, 25, and 2017
Application Due: Monday, March 13th, 2017 before 5 pm
Click Here To Apply
Why should you apply?
- You want to learn new ways of engaging students and collecting evidence of student learning.
- You want to know what new technologies might improve your teaching and student learning.
- You want to analyze how and why learning happens (or why it isn’t happening!)
How will the Summer Teaching Institute help?
Your involvement in the Teaching Institute will facilitate, to a great degree, your course redesign project and provide
- Opportunities to look into diverse pedagogical strategies and different instructional technologies to improve student learning.
- Mentoring and consultation from faculty using cutting edge best practices and research in teaching and learning.
- Interactions with peers across multiple disciplines.
- Hardware and software resources for the proper implementation of instructional technologies. Faculty will have the choice of either an iPad Pro, Surface Pro and Macbook Air device!
Participation in the Summer Teaching Institute is a year-long commitment to:
• Attend the Summer Institute Workshop: May 22, 23, 24 and 25, 2017, 9 am – 4 pm
• Attend two follow up days: Workshop Day: Wednesday January 17, 2018, 9 am – 12 noon
Showcase Day: Friday March 2, 2018, 12 noon - 1:30 pm
• Submit a poster illustrating the course redesign project and evidence of student learning from the redesigned course for the March showcase.
In addition to personal contact information you will be asked to answer the following:
A. Have you participated in a Summer Teaching Institute in the past 3 years? If so, which year?
B. Please tell us about the specific course you would like to redesign. Include enrollment capacity, structure (lab, lecture, discussion, etc.), and where it fits into your department’s curriculum (GE, major, upper or lower division, etc.). How does this course align with the program’s student learning outcomes and overall curricular goals.
C. Why do you want to redesign the course? What are you trying to achieve by the course redesign?
D. Tell us about your familiarity with the following technologies and teaching tools. SacCT, Open Educational Resources (OER), and learning analytics.
E. Tell us about the methods or technologies you particularly want to learn about and apply to your course redesign.
Eligibility and Priority Consideration:
• All full time and part time Sacramento State faculty employed between May 2017 – May 2018 are eligible.
• Applications will be evaluated based on quality of the application and feasibility of the project. Compelling projects will be highly rated.
• Priority consideration may be given to new faculty, tenure track and tenured professors, and lecturer faculty with multi-year contracts.Click Here To Apply
Questions? Please call: Center for Teaching and Learning 278-5945 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Past Teaching Institute Feedback
"I got a wealth of information on how to look at pedagogy and delivery of key concepts. A chance to reflect on assessment and approach my redesign [of my course] with some new criteria."
"I value the talent and strength of the colleagues who presented here and the resource of the CTL and university for supporting such a magnificent opportunity."