During this past academic year, there was a proposal to change the nomenclature and description of pre-major students in impacted programs. The pre-major terminology will be changed to expressed interest in the impacted major. The Faculty Senate was consulted and refined the definitions of pre-major and expressed interest.
The current programs that are Impacted: Business Administration; Criminal Justice; Design – Graphic, Interior and Photography; Health Science; Nursing; and Psychology.
- Pre-Major – A designation for undergraduate students pursuing a non-impacted major. These students may declare or be assigned major status upon admission to the university or by the department/program of their intended major after completing specified pre-requisites as defined by their academic department/program.
- Expressed Interest – A designation for undergraduate students interested in pursuing an impacted major but who may not declare or be assigned by the department/program of their intended major upon admission to the university. These students must successfully complete any specified pre-requisites and a supplemental admissions process in order to be formally admitted to the major/program.
Examples of Change in Nomenclature
Current major: Pre Criminal Justice
New major: Expressed Interest Criminal Justice.
Current major: Pre Business Administration (Finance)
New major: Expressed Interest Bus (Finance).
- The pre-major description for all continuing students in an impacted major has been changed to Expressed Interest in the specific impacted program. This change is now in effect and all continuing students have been notified.
- Expressed Interest is treated just like Undeclared for business processes.
- Students may not be a double major that includes Expressed Interest (Undeclared). Students who had two majors, one a declared degree seeking major and a Pre-Major/ Expressed Interest, the Pre-Major/ Expressed interest has been removed. Students have been informed of this action.
- For students in a declared degree seeking major who wish to change to Expressed Interest (Undeclared), approval will be in Academic Advising, the Registrar’s office or approved designee. The declared degree seeking major will be removed.
- Undeclared or Expressed Interest students will be advised by Academic Advising in Lassen Hall with the exceptions of: Business, Expressed Interest students will be directed to the College of Business Academic Center in Tahoe Hall; and Design, Graphic and Interior as well as Photography, Expressed Interest students will be directed to the Department of Design, Mariposa Hall.
- Expressed Interest (Undeclared) students who have questions regarding pursuing admission to an Impacted Program, are directed to: Admissions and Outreach web-site on Impaction;Academic Advising in Lassen Hall; and the web-site of the Impacted Program.
- Students, who want to change from Expressed Interest to a declared degree seeking major, non-impacted program, will seek approval from that academic department. Once approved, the major will be added and the Expressed Interest will be removed.
- Fall 2013 new students who were admitted and enrolled as pre-majors in an impacted program, will be communicated with in early fall about this change to Expressed Interest.
Information about Impaction is available on the Admissions and Outreach web-site.
Questions or Concerns
Contact the Office of the University Registrar’s HelpLine 916.278.8088