A student budget, also known as Cost of Attendance (COA), is required by federal regulations in order to determine financial need and financial aid award amounts (among other factors). The student budget is designed to provide students with a projection of reasonable costs to attend school for a nine month period. If it is determined that a student has or will exceed the COA during the academic year, adjustments to the budget may be made on a case-by-case basis with appropriate documentation.
A budget increase allows for an increase of the COA by the amount of approved expenses(es) for only the following situations:
- To increase eligibility for scholarship, grant aid and stipend;
- To resolve or reduce an overpayment or over-award of student finanical aid;
- To increase a student budget for a federal or private educational loan
Note: If you have already accepted academic year awards up to their annual limits or were offered loans and declined them, you do not qualify for a budget increase.
- All requests must be accompanied by legible copies.
- All documentation MUST be dated within the current academic year.
- All documents must identify the student as purchaser by name, address, and identify the business with its name, address, phone number, etc.
- Safety-related car repair expenses
- Active health insurance premiums and/or out-of-pocket medical expenses not covered by insurance. Note: we may not be able to include the full expense you submit due to regulatory restrictions.
- Costs for before/after school care (Child care expense), needed for your children under the age of 12 so you can attend classes. A Supplemental Sheet for Child Care Expenses is required for each child.
- Purchase of (or estimate of) a computer
- Commute in excess of 100 miles roundtrip per day.
Budget Increase process:
- Download the required forms provided in Financial Aid Forms & Documents
- Read the Budget Increase Request Instructions thoroughly. It provides information to successfully document allowed expenses
- Complete the Budget Increase Request form as instructed
- Attach all required documentation for the allowable expense(s) to the Budget Increase Request form
- Submit all documents to the Financial Aid Office for processing. You are not required to see a Financial Aid Counselor
- Allow at least 3 weeks for processing
- We will notify you via your My Sac State on the outcome of your request, either by email or by a revised award notification
This budget increase is a consideration of expenses for the possibility of increasing your Cost of Attendance. Make sure your documentation has all the required elements to be considered. Budget increases will only be processed with complete / correct documentation. If you have any questions you may contact the Financial Aid Office.