Dependency Override

  • Fall 2015 Only Deadline: November 9, 2015
  • Academic Year / Spring 2016 Deadline: April 11, 2016

An applicant's dependency status is based on the Dependency Questions answered on the financial aid application.  If students are unable to provide parental information, aid regulations allow a Financial Aid Counselor to use professional judgment to determine a student independent for student aid purposes, if they do not meet the definition of an Independent student according the financial aid application process.  This action is called a dependency override and is determined on a case-by-case basis from an appeal form and acceptable supporting documentation. 

Below are the conditions in which a dependency override may or may not be considered at Sacramento State.

Circumstances that do not qualify for a dependency override appeal:

  • Parents refuse to contribute to the student’s education
  • Parents are unwilling to provide information on the financial aid application or for verification
  • Parents do not claim the student as a dependent for income tax purposes
  • Student demonstrates total self-sufficiency (ex: living outside of the parent's home)
  • In general, disagreements between student and parent(s), may cause the parent(s) to unwillingly provide information.  These cases are typically not considered.

Circumstances considered:

  • Abusive family environments
  • Abandonment
  • Incarceration or institutionalization of both parents
  • An unsuitable household requiring legal intervention
  • Severe estrangement from parents
  • Parent mental incapacity

You must meet with a Financial Aid Counselor to discuss your special circumstances. 



Students who had an APPROVED Dependency Override at Sacramento State in a prior aid year may submit a Dependency Override Renewal Request form to determine if the circumstances continue to exist for a dependency override.   Forms will be emailed to students or can be picked up by meeting with a Financial Aid Counselor.

The decision to approve or deny a dependency override is made by the Financial Aid Office at Sacramento State and not the U.S. Department of Education.

Revised: 6/28/2015