- Fall 2014 Only Deadline: November 13, 2014
- Academic Year / Spring 2015 Deadline: April 16, 2015
An applicant's dependency status is based on the Dependency Questions answered on the FAFSA. If students are unable to provide parental informaton, federal aid regulations allow a Financial Aid Counselor to use professional judgment to determine a student independent for federal student aid purposes, if they do not meet the definition of an Independent student according the FAFSA process. This action is called a dependency override and is determined on a case-by-case basis from an appeal form and acceptable supporting documentation.
Below are the conditions in which a dependency override may or may not be considered at Sacramento State.
Circumstances that do not qualify for a dependency override appeal:
- Parents refuse to contribute to the student’s education
- Parents are unwilling to provide information on the FAFSA or for verification
- Parents do not claim the student as a dependent for income tax purposes
- Student demonstrates total self-sufficiency (ex: living outside of the parent's home)
- In general, disagreements between student and parent(s), may cause the parent(s) to unwillingly provide information. These cases are typically not considered.
- Abusive family environments
- Incarceration or institutionalization of both parents
- An unsuitable household requiring legal intervention
- Severe estrangement from parents
- Parent mental incapacity
You must meet with a Financial Aid Counselor to discuss your special circumstances.
RENEWAL OF A DEPENDENCY OVERRIDE
Students who had an APPROVED Dependency Override at Sacramento State in a prior aid year may submit a Dependency Override Renewal Request form to determine if the circumstances continue to exist for a dependency override. Forms are available by request at the Student Services Counter or by meeting with a Financial Aid Counselor.
The decision to approve or deny a dependency override is made by the Financial Aid Office at Sacramento State and not the U.S. Department of Education.