- If attending Fall 2015 Only Deadline: November 9, 2015
- If attending the Academic Year or Spring 2016 Deadline: April 11, 2016
An applicant's dependency status is based on the Dependency Questions answered on the financial aid application. If students are unable to provide parental information, aid regulations allow a Financial Aid Counselor to use professional judgment to determine a student independent for student aid purposes, if they do not meet the definition of an Independent student according the financial aid application process. This action is called a dependency override and is determined on a case-by-case basis from an appeal form and acceptable documentation.
Below are the conditions in which a dependency override may or may not be considered at Sacramento State. Decisions at other institutions are not accepted, but may be considered as part of your appeal at Sacramento State.
Circumstances that do not qualify for a dependency override appeal are:
- Parents refuse to contribute to the student’s education
- Parents are unwilling to provide information on the financial aid application or for verification
- Parents do not claim the student as a dependent for income tax purposes
- Student demonstrates total self-sufficiency (ex: living outside of the parent's home)
- Disagreements between student and parent(s), may cause the parent(s) to unwillingly provide information
- Abusive family environments
- Incarceration or institutionalization of both parents
- An unsuitable household requiring legal intervention
- Severe estrangement from parents
- Parent mental incapacity
- Death of a biological / adoptive parent
RENEWAL OF A DEPENDENCY OVERRIDE
Students who had an APPROVED Dependency Override at Sacramento State in the prior aid year may submit a Dependency Override Renewal Request form to determine if the circumstances continue to exist for a dependency override. Renewal appeals will be emailed to students or can be picked up by meeting with a Financial Aid Counselor.
Important Processing Items
- Your financial aid application will remain in a "rejected" status until you take action to complete your file
- Once your financial aid application is valid, you are subject to Satisfactory Academic Progress standards and may be required to submit financial aid documents
- If required, you must submit all requested financial aid documents by the document processing deadline of June 1
- Due to processing time, financial aid disbursements may be delayed. Registration fees or the balance must be paid by the posted date/deadline to avoid being dropped from your classes
The information listed on this page is not inclusive of all policy and procedures. Full documentation is an absolute requirement for this process. Students must meet with a Financial Aid Counselor to discuss your special circumstances, obtain the override appeal and submit the appeal with required documentation. Appeals are reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Appeals can take up to 3 business weeks for processing.
The decision to approve or deny a dependency override is made by the Financial Aid Office at Sacramento State and not the U.S. Department of Education.