Budget Increase for 2015-2016
Dates & Deadlines:
- Fall 2015 only deadline: November 16, 2015
- Spring 2016 Form Available: February 19, 2016
- If attending Academic Year/Spring 2016 only deadline: April 15, 2016
A student budget, also known as Cost of Attendance (COA), is required by federal regulations in order to determine financial need and financial aid award amounts (among other factors). The student budget is designed to provide students with a projection of reasonable costs to attend school for a nine month period. If it is determined that a student has or will exceed the COA during the academic year, adjustments to the budget may be made on a case-by-case basis with appropriate documentation.
Allowable expenses considered (expenses must have been paid for by the student):
- Safety-related car repair expenses*
- Active health insurance premiums and/or out-of-pocket medical expenses not covered by insurance*
- Costs for before/after school care (Child care expense) needed for your children under the age of 12 so you can attend classes. A Supplemental Sheet for Child Care Expenses is required for each child.
- Purchase of a computer
- Commute in excess of 100 miles roundtrip per day
- Education related expenses required for program of study
*We may not be able to include the full expense you submit due to regulatory restrictions. Refer to the 2015-2016 Budget Increase Appeal for specific Terms and Conditions.
- All requests must be accompanied by legible copies and official (paid) receipts/invoices
- All documentation MUST be dated within the current academic year or the semester of applying
- All documents must identify the student as the purchaser, including business name, address, phone number, etc.
Important Appeal Process:
- If you have already accepted academic year awards up to the annual limits or were offered loans and declined them, you do not qualify for a budget increase
- Summer sessions are excluded
- Budget increases will only be processed with complete / correct documentation
- Expenses that do not meet the eligibility requirements will be excluded from the review process
- If approved, the Financial Aid Office will revise your awards accordingly and send you a revised award notification
- If denied, you will be sent a SacState Message
Full documentation is an absolute requirement for this process. Eligibility requirements and processes are subject to change due to policy and/or regulation changes. The Budget Increase appeal can be accessed (when) available in the Financial Aid Forms section of the Financial Aid Office website and can be submitted at the Student Services Center. Budget appeals are reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Processing time is 3 business weeks.