FAQ - Federal Work Study (FWS)

FATV Video

How do I apply for a FWS job?

You must first be awarded Federal Work-Study (FWS) funds. To apply for FWS, you must submit your FAFSA as close to January 1 as possible and indicate "yes" you are interested in the Work Study Program. You must then submit any and all documents requested by the Financial Aid Office as quickly as you can to complete your file. Completed files are awarded in a first-come first-serve order until the campus' allocation has been exhausted. Please note our funds are limited and we are unable to award all interested students.

To search for FWS jobs, you must create a Career Connection account through the Career Center's website and upload a resume with your Sac State ID number. FWS jobs are available beginning August 1 every year.

Quick Reference: 6-Step FWS Hiring Checklist (pdf)


I was not awarded Federal WorkStudy.  How do I apply?

Federal Work Study funds are limited. The Financial Aid Office awards as many eligible students as possible until funds are exhausted.  We encourage you to file your FAFSA by the March 2 priority deadline and respond to any document requests as soon as possible.  Funds are awarded to eligible students who complete their file the soonest.

If FWS was not included in your Award Notification, you can submit the FWS Request Form. If you have already secured a Federal Work Study job, be sure to include the employer’s complete contact information on the request form. Once you are awarded, you will be emailed instructions on how to secure FWS employment.


I cannot accept FWS on my award letter.  Why?

The Financial Aid Office will accept FWS on your behalf once you secure employment.  FWS jobs will be available on Career Connection beginning August 1.  There is a process in place for the employers to notify our office once they have decided who to hire.  From there, the Financial Aid Office will take care of the rest.


How can I find a job if I am not eligible for FWS?

You would need to conduct your own search for FWS employers.  You can start by visiting various departments on campus.  If you cannot find a FWS job, you can look for student assistant (non-FWS) positions in the Career Center or at University Enterprises, Inc. (UEI).


What are the benefits of being offered FWS?

  • You receive a pay check every month to help with regular expenses.
  • It is a great way to gain or enhance your job skills and prepare for your career after graduation. 
  • Jobs are typically located on campus which provides convenience. 
  • You get paid by the hour like a real job, and the pay is competitive. 
  • The works hours are flexible with your school schedule since you are a student employee. 
  • FWS wages earned will not count against you the next year when you file your FAFSA.


How much can I expect to earn?

Hourly wages range from $9.00 to $17.26 per hour. Rates are determined by the skills and training required by the position. You may earn up to the maximum amount of the FWS award listed on your award notice. This amount may change based on a number of factors related to your overall financial aid or enrollment status. You may not earn more than your FWS award.


May I have two FWS jobs?

No, you may only have one FWS job.


When will I be paid?

Students are paid on the 15th of each month. If the 15th falls on a Saturday, you will be paid the business day before. If the 15th falls on a Sunday, you will be paid the business day after. You may elect to receive a paper check or sign up for direct deposit. Your FWS earnings are paid to you in the form of a paycheck and not disbursed to pay your tuition/housing fees.


Does unit enrollment, a low GPA or my academic status affect eligibility for FWS participation?

Yes. You must be enrolled at least half-time. Changes to your initial unit enrollment may affect your eligibility for the FWS award. Keep the Financial Aid Office informed of changes in your enrollment status. You must also maintain a minimum GPA of 2.0 for undergraduates and 3.0 for graduates, and your academic status must be in good standing.


Did not find what you are looking for?  Visit our Federal Work Study page for more information.

Rev. 8/8/2014