Federal Work-Study Program
About the FWS Program
Beginning Fall 2013, the FWS Program began a partnership with the Career Center to provide our students with valuable experiences to assist them in seeking employment after graduation. The FWS Program covers 70% of students' wages and the employer is responsible for the remaining 30%. FWS students are available to work during the academic year (excluding summer), up to 20 hours per week when classes are in session and 40 hours per week when classes are not in session.
- Attend the mandatory orientation required for all employers interested in participating in the FWS Program. Orientations are typically held in June.
- Post jobs during the "Call for Positions" period, which is typically in July.
- Positions were posted in a first-come first-serve order. Employers are notified of their posting date late July. Positions remian active for sixty (60) days.
- Departments are allocated funds after their advertised positions have been filled and the hiring steps are complete.
By submitting a job posting, you agree that you have read and understand the conditions of the FWS Program.
The FWS Employer Orientation presentation can be found by clicking here.
Hiring FWS Students
- Review resumes sent through Career Connection. Students gain access to FWS job postings on August 1st.
- Interview (if necessary) and select a candidate.
- Obtain a copy of your student's financial aid award letter to confirm award amount.
- Hire your student(s) in CMS.
- Send the Intent to Hire email to the FWS Coordinator. Be sure to scan and attach the SEPTF provided to your student.
- Notify the FWS Coordinator when the position is closed. Once the FWS Program is notifed, all applicants will be sent a message notifying them that the position is closed and a candidate has been selected.
You can use the Hiring Checklist for Employers for reference.
Click here for the resume management tool.
Students are encouraged to attend a FWS Student Orientation, but are not required. The 6-Step Hiring Instructions will assist students through the process.
Payroll and Timesheets
FWS timesheets are available on Human Resources' website under Payroll forms. Timesheets should be submitted to the Payroll Office on or before the 1st of each month to avoid delays. Students can receive paper check or direct deposit. When completing the SEPTF, the hourly wage listed must align with the duties to be performed.
To view the Student Employment Classification Salary Schedule, click here: Salary Schedule *
(*Subject to Change.)
The FWS award
- The maximum FWS award is $3,000 per student.
- This amount is an academic year total and is divided equally between the fall and spring semesters, ($1,500 per semester).
The FWS Program contributes 70% of a student's salary and you, the employer, contribute 30%.
Hiring one student equals a commitment from your department of $900, which is 30% of $3,000.
Things to Know
- Funding is limited and we cannot guarantee that you will receive interested applicants.
- All FWS positions will require the statement "Leadership Certificate Preferred". The Leadership Initiative (a Student Organizations and Leadership program) provides students with leadership development opportunities through campus and community engagement.
- The FWS Program operates during the fall and spring semesters only. Fall graduates may not work beyond the last day of fall finals week.
- You are responsible for tracking your department's allocation as well as your student's allocation. Any hours worked by a student that exceed your allocated FWS funding or a student's FWS award must be paid 100% by your department (or division when appropriate).
It is our hope that through this cooperative partnership with our Career Center and the Leadership Initiative, we can provide learning opportunities and valauable experiences for our FWS students that will better prepare them for job opportunities as a Sacramento State alum.
If you have any questions regarding the Federal Work-Study program please contact Jasmine "Jazzie" Murphy at (916) 278-2752 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.