ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS & PROCEDURES
Admission as a classified graduate student in Government requires:
- A baccalaureate degree and
- A minimum 3.0 grade point average in the last 60 units attempted and 3.0 in the major.
Applications are accepted as long as room for new students exists. However, students are strongly urged to apply by March 1, 2014 for Fall 2014 in order to allow time for admission before the registration deadline. All prospective graduate students, including CSUS graduates, must file the following with the CSUS Admissions Office:
- An online application for admission and
- Two sets of official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended, other than CSUS.
Go to the Office of Graduate Studies website for details
At the same time, each applicant should forward to the Government Graduate Coordinator (see address below) the following:
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals who can evaluate the applicant's potential for successful graduate study. We prefer letters from faculty familar with your academic work, but we understand some people applying have been out of school for several years.
- A written statement explaining the applicant's purposes and goals in pursuing a Master's degree in Government. This letter can also be used to provide context to your academic record.
- An example of written work which the applicant considers evidence of his/her best scholarship regardless of the grade received.
- Students can provide Graduate Record Examination scores, but inclusion of GRE scores is optional.
Applicants who have deficiencies on admission requirements, whose qualifications are otherwise acceptable, may be granted conditional or deferred status while they take coursework to remove these deficiencies. All such courses are treated as prerequisites and cannot be counted towards the degree requirement.
Applicants are urged to contact the Graduate Coordinator to introduce themselves and discuss admission and the program. Approximately six weeks after receipt of all items listed above, a decision regarding admission will be mailed to the applicant from the graduate studies department.
Professor and Graduate Coordinator
Phone: (916)278-6378; E-mail: email@example.com
California State University, Sacramento
6000 J Street
Sacramento, CA 95819-6089
Telephone: (916) 278-6202
Fax: (916) 278-6488