Application Information & Procedures
SPECIAL NOTICE: By order of the CSU Chancellor's Office, Graduate Admission Application Fee Waivers
have been discontinued. All post-baccalaureate/graduate applicants must pay
the $55 non-refundable application fee.
We are a vibrant, comprehensive university with eight colleges that offer 46 master's degree programs, a joint doctorate in Public History, a doctorate in Physical Therapy and an independent doctorate in Educational Leadership.
This information is only for applicants interested in Doctorate Degrees, Master's Degrees, Teaching Credentials or Post-Baccalaureate Study.
- Undergraduate and 2nd Bachelor's Degree applicants should read the Undergraduate Admissions information.
- Teaching Credential Candidates should contact the College of Education at (916) 278-6403 for specific requirements and procedures before applying to the University.
- Nursing Credential Candidates should contact the Division of Nursing at (916) 278-6525 for specific requirements and more information.
- International Students (F or J Visa) must apply through International Admissions. DO NOT fill out the university graduate application as it will slow down your application process.
- Domestic Students applying with transcripts from outside the United States can see more information here.
Please note that California State University, Sacramento (Sacramento State) will only accept electronically filed applications (exception: department supplemental applications).
Sacramento State operates under a completion deadline process. Your file must be complete by the closing date – all transcripts, test scores, and documents must be received by both the Office of Graduate Studies and any supplemental documents to the department by the close of business on the final application filing date (some departments have earlier deadline dates for their supplemental applications, please check with your department).
PLEASE NOTE: Average processing time for transcripts is 2-3 weeks after they are received. This time may be longer during peak times, so please allow adequate time for processing before ordering additional copies. Also, allow additional processing time if the name on the transcript does not match the name on your application, or if you submitted transcripts prior to submitting your application.
NOTE TO APPLICANTS WITH FOREIGN DOCUMENTS: Applicants who attended foreign institutions are required to submit transcripts one month prior to the application deadline, in order to allow time for foreign credential evaluation. Please see Applicants with Foreign Documents section for details.
Applications are term specific, which means that Sacramento State will not defer or roll forward your application or admission from term to term. If you do not attend Sacramento State in the term designated on your application, then you must reapply and submit a new application and fee for the subsequent term you wish to be considered for admissions to Sacramento State. Applicants may apply to only one program per admission cycle.
Applying to graduate school at Sacramento State entails a simultaneous two part process:
- Submitting Online Application , Fees & Documentation
- Department Supplemental Applications - Some programs require a supplemental application, which must be obtained from the department
For more information on individual graduate programs please visit the Graduate Programs page.
Deadlines to submit applications are set by each department and are subject to change without notice. For the most up to date list please visit the Application Deadlines page.