Application Information & Procedures
Foreign students (F or J Visas) must apply through International Admissions. Do NOT fill out the general graduate studies application as it will slow down your application process.
You are required to submit one (1) OFFICIAL transcript from ALL colleges and universities attended directly to the Office of Graduate Studies by the application deadline. Please see the transcripts page for details.
Please note: Applicants who attended foreign institutions are required to submit transcripts one month prior to application deadline, in order to allow time for foreign credential evaluation. See the Applicants with Foreign Documents section for details on the documents required.
Applications are term specific, which means that Sacramento State will not defer or roll forward your application or admission from term to term. If you do not attend Sacramento State in the term designated on your application, then you must reapply and submit a new application and fee for the subsequent term you wish to be considered for admissions to Sacramento State. Applicants may apply to only one program per admission cycle.
Applying to graduate school at Sacramento State entails a simultaneous two part process:
- Submitting Online Application , Fees & Documentation
- Department Supplemental Applications - Some programs require a supplemental application, which must be obtained from the department
For more information on individual graduate programs please visit the Graduate Programs page.
Deadlines to submit applications are set by each department and are subject to change without notice. For the most up to date list please visit the Application Deadlines page.
IMPORTANT!!! Most degree programs require some type of supplementary materials, such as a departmental application, test scores, letters of recommendation, writing samples, etc. You should always contact the department office of your intended program for information as to what materials are required and when they are due. A University Application is always required.
- Teaching Credential Candidates should contact the College of Education Teacher Preparation and Credentials Office (916-278-6403) for specific requirements and procedures before applying to the University.
- Administrative Credential Candidates should contact the Educational Leadership Program (916-278-5559) for specific requirements and procedures before applying to the University.
- Special Education and School Psychology Credential Candidates should contact the Special Educational Program (916-278-6622) for specific requirements and procedures before applying to the University.
- Counseling Education PPS Credential Candidates should contact the Counseling Educational Program (916-278-5399) for specific requirements and procedures before applying to the University.
- Social Work PPS Credential Candidates should contact the Social Work Program (916-278-6943) for specific requirements and procedures before applying to the University.
- Nursing Credential Candidates should contact the Nursing department (916-278-6525) for specific requirements and more information.
Please note that incomplete applications will be denied.