Graduate Admissions

Application Information & Procedures
General Information

PLEASE NOTE: These instructions are for domestic U.S. applicants (US Citizens, Resident Aliens or H visa), International students (F or J Visas) must apply through International Admissions. Do NOT fill out the general graduate studies application as it will slow down your application process.

We are a vibrant, comprehensive university with eight colleges that offer 46 master's degree programs, a joint doctorate in Public History, a doctorate in Physical Therapy and an independent doctorate in Educational Leadership.

This information is only for applicants interested in Doctorate Degrees, Master's Degrees, Teaching Credentials or Post-Baccalaureate Study, those seeking a Bachelor’s degree or a Second Bachelor’s degree should contact Undergraduate Admissions.

SPECIAL NOTICE: By order of the CSU Chancellor's Office, Graduate Admission Application Fee Waivers have been discontinued. All post-baccalaureate/graduate applicants must pay the $55 non-refundable application fee.

  1. How do I apply?

    Applying to graduate school at Sacramento State entails a simultaneous two part process:

    1. Submitting Online Application , Fees & Documentation
      • Complete Online Application by the program's posted deadline at – Please note the following:
        • Spring applicants may start submitting online applications starting August 1st
        • Fall applicants may start submitting online applications starting October 1st
      • Submit transcripts and other documents to the Office of Graduate Studies by the Application Deadline for your program (if you have foreign documents they are due one month prior to the posted deadline of the program you applied/will apply to).

        All Official Transcripts should be sent to:

        California State University, Sacramento
        Office of Graduate Studies
        River Front Center 215
        6000 J Street
        Sacramento, CA 95819-6112

    2. Department Supplemental Applications

      Some programs require a supplemental application, which must be obtained from the department. (

      If the department requires additional documents, you can uploaded them using your My Sac State account at Letters of Recommendations must be sent directly to the department in unopened envelopes from the recommender. For more information on supplemental materials, please contact your department.

  2. Can I file a paper application?

    Please note that California State University, Sacramento (Sacramento State) will only accept electronically filed applications (exception: department supplemental applications can be download and printed out, completed, scanned and uploaded).

  3. Can I submit my documents after the deadline date?

    Sacramento State operates under a completion deadline process. Your file must be complete by the closing date – all transcripts, test scores, and documents must be received by both the Office of Graduate Studies and any supplemental documents to the department by the close of business on the final application filing date (some departments have earlier deadline dates for their supplemental applications, please check with your department).

  4. How long will it take to process my transcripts?

    Average processing time for transcripts is 1-3 weeks after they are received. This time may be longer during peak times, so please allow adequate time for processing before ordering additional copies. Also, allow additional processing time if the name on the transcript does not match the name on your application. Please do not send transcript before you apply. If you are not yet in our system when they arrive, we have nothing to match them to, and your application will be delayed.

  5. What if I have academic records from other countries?

    Applicants who attended foreign institutions are required to submit transcripts one month prior to the application deadline, in order to allow time for foreign credential evaluation. Please see Applicants with Foreign Documents section for details.

  6. Can I defer my application or admission to a later term?

    Applications are term specific, which means that Sacramento State will not defer or roll forward your application or admission from term to term. If you do not attend Sacramento State in the term designated on your application, then you must reapply and submit a new application and fee for the subsequent term you wish to be considered for admissions to Sacramento State. Applicants may apply to only one program per admission cycle.

  7.  I attended Heald College, how do I get my transcript?

    On April 27, 2015 all Heald Colleges closed.  Since that time the California State, Department of Consumer Affairs, Bureau of Private and Postsecondary Education Office began receiving student academic records for Everest, Heald and WyoTech (Corinthian Colleges in California). 

    Students seeking transcripts should submit a Transcript Request Form as the requests will be fulfilled in the order received. Please continue to monitor the Bureau’s Web site, Facebook and Twitter pages for updates.