Application FAQs

Sac State Campus

What do I do first?

The first step is to apply for admission to Sacramento State. It's easier and quicker to apply online. Apply now at

How do I apply to Guardian Scholars?

Click "Apply Now" in the Future Scholars section of this website. It will guide you step by step through the application process. You must first be admitted to the University before you can be accepted to the Guardian Scholars Program.

What if I can't afford the Sac State application fee?

Normally applicants are required to pay a $55.00 application fee. However, if you earn below the income ceiling, you may qualify for a fee waiver. If you are appying online, you will notice that the fee waiver is built into the process so you will not need to file a separate request for an application fee waiver form. If you opt for the fee waiver and the Office of Admissions & Records determines you are not eligible for the waiver, you will be sent a bill for the $55.00 application fee.

When will I hear about the status of my application?

Normally you will hear within a few weeks after filing your application. You will receive a letter from the Office of Admissions & Records confirming your application was received and informing you what additional information is needed to process your application. Admission to the Guardian Scholars Program will be determined upon review of your completed application.

When will I know if I have been admitted?

Continue to check your student center account at My Sac State to learn whether you have been accepted. You will receive an official notice of admittance from the Office of Admissions & Records. You can expedite the process by making sure they receive all requested information in a timely mannner.

Can I receive money to go to college?

Federal and state funding is available to help you pay for college expenses. These expenses include fees (tuition), books and supplies, transportation, and miscellaneous living expenses you will have when attending college. You may be eligible to receive federal and state financial aid. However, you need to apply to receive this funding. Please visit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) website to apply for financial aid.

Normally, the federal and state funds received through financial aid are not enough to cover the full cost of a student's education. That's why it's important to maximize all of the grants and scholarships available to you as a former foster youth/Guardian Scholar. The most important source of free money is the California Chafee Grant which gives free money to current or former foster youth to use for vocational school training or college courses.

The Guardian Scholars Program does award scholarships to students who have at least a 2.5 GPA and demonstrate both a need and written plan for additional funding. Funding for this type of scholarship is made available through the Foster Youth Education Fund, and is awarded for academic needs only. These kinds of scholarships will be awarded at the discretion of the Program Director.

What is Federal Work-Study?

Federal Work-Study (FWS)  is a financial aid program that provides part-time employment for students who have financial need. The program is designed to help students meet their educational expenses without incurring debt, while provide valuable job opportunities and skills.

To qualify for a FWS job, you must first apply for financial aid and be offered FWS funds as part of your financial award. Log in to the Student Center of My Sac State to see if you've qualified for a FWS award. Only students who are awarded Federal Work-Study will be able to log in to the FWS Job Board. If you are not awarded Federal Work-Study, and are interested in applying, please fill out the Federal Work-Study Request Form and submit it to the Financial Aid office.

To learn more about FWS, please download this Federal Work Study Brochure.

How much financial aid can I expect?
When will I receive it?

The two most important pieces of information you'll need to know before starting the semester are how much money you'll receive and the date you can expect to receive your funds. Your cost for fees (tuition) and housing will not be due until your financial aid and scholarship funds are ready for disbursement, which usually occurs the week before the start of each semester.

The amount that you are awarded for the year is divided into two. You will receive half fo your financial aid in the Fall, and the remaining half in the Spring. The fees for your tuition and dorm room are deducted from each semester's allocation. You receive a disbursement of the remaining balance of the funds per semester to pay for books, supplies, food, clothes, etc.

BE SMART AND BUDGET! This money must last for the remainder of the semester. You will not receive your next payment until the week before the next semester begins.

What happens to my offer of financial aid
if I receive scholarship funds?

You can never receive a combination of grants and scholarships that exceed the established cost of education. For example, a Guardian Scholar receives a notification that he/she is eligible to receive a scholarship. The Office of Financial Aid is sent a scholarship check from ABC Corporation in the amount of $1,000. The award may need to be revised so that the total amount from all funds received does not exceed the student's total amount received in financial aid. In other words, the Office of Financial Aid would reduce the student's financial aid by $1,000 in order to avoid having to bill the student the amount that was overpaid.

Where will I live?

Housing for students is available on campus. However, on-campus housing is limited. As such, we recommend that you apply early. To begin the application process for living in the residence halls on campus, you must first get on the mailing list. Submit your name online at:

Don't want to live in the dorms? More concerned about finding a roommate? A great resource is the Off-Campus Living Section of the Housing & Residential Life website.

Who can tell me what classes I need to take?

To be able to register for classes once you are admitted to the University, it is mandatory to attend a New Student Orientation. At orientation, advisors will inform you of what classes you should take your first semester at Sacramento State.

For questions about degree requirements and grading policies, advisors in the Academic Advising Center can help you. Guardian Scholars also provides individual advising to each student.