Athletic Training Education Program Admission Requirements
Students applying for admission into the Sacramento State ATEP would require admission into Sacramento State and select athletic training as their major. The student must submit the admissions application to the Program Director by the posted deadline.
Admission into the clinical program is competitive with a limited number of clinical positions each semester. Meeting the listed requirements does not guarantee placement in the clinical setting. Admission is based on a point system and the top, qualified students are selected to be placed each semester. The Program Director will notify the applicants of their admission status.
The Program Director is responsible for seeing that the admissions packets are complete, on time and are checked for the following:
- Student information sheet
- Proof of minimum 2.80 GPA Minimum (GPA of 2.80 in each semester and overall GPA in twelve graded units toward the degree each semester)
- Two-page typed statement of athletic training goals and reasons for wanting to be a part of the Sacramento State ATEP
- Completion of prerequisites and lower division requirements
- Proof of current first aid, AED and CPR certification (copy of cards)
- Two letters of recommendation from a teacher, athletic trainer, or supervisor
- Proof of current physical exam stating student is able to perform the duties of an athletic training student signed by an MD/DO/NP/PA
- Proof of Hepatitis B immunization
- Proof of annual TB test
- Proof of medical history as part of the physical exam
- Signed Technical Standards form
- Proof of professional liability insurance (See Program Director for details)
Deadlines: October 17th, 2016, for spring admissions
March 17th, 2016, for fall admissions
Transfer students must follow the requirements for admission to Sacramento State and the ATEP as all other students. The student must declare athletic training as his/her major and apply to the ATEP by submitting the admissions packet by the posted deadline. The transfer student can check the www.assist.org website for a listing of which classes transfer into Sacramento State from a California community college or another CSU.
An experienced student who transfers into Sacramento State may qualify for advanced placement in the clinical program by challenging (bypassing) Phase I, KINS 195C, Observation in Athletic Training. The student must meet the admissions requirements and follow the bypass procedure as outlined in the handbook. The transfer student with extensive experience may enter the program in the fall or spring.
Click here to download the Admission Cover Sheet.