Undergraduate Athletic Training Education Program, a CAATE Accredited Program
The Department of Kinesiology and Health Science at California State University, Sacramento offers an Athletic Training Program. We are proud of our program and of our students.
The CSUS Athletic Training Education Program was first approved by the National Athletic Trainers Association in 1976 as an approved curriculum in athletic training. In 1996, it was a CAAHEP (Commission on the Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs) accredited program. It is now accredited by CAATE (Commission on the Accreditation of Athletic Training Education. The student will earn a Bachelor of Science degree in athletic training.
The program is very strong academically with a core of science courses and hands-on laboratories. The clinical program is competitive with a limited number of clinical positions each semester. The admissions process includes prerequisites and submission of the admissions packet by the posted deadline. Retention in the clinical program is based on a point system from graded evaluations and successful completion of clinical education requirements. For more information on admissions, retention, transfer and other ATEP policies, please see the ATEP website and the athletic training handbook.
Upon graduation, the student is eligible to take the BOC (Board of Certification) certification exam to become a Certified Athletic Trainer.
It is the primary mission of the undergraduate athletic training education program to prepare the student with a quality education through knowledge, skills and attitudes to become a competent entry level BOC Athletic Trainer.
This mission is accomplished by:
- Meeting the requirements by CAATE (Commission on the Accreditation of Athletic Training Education) for reaccreditation
- Meeting the university requirements for graduation
- Providing quality experiences for the student to develop skill and knowledge in the areas of prevention, recognition, evaluation, immediate care, rehabilitation and reconditioning of athletic injuries, health care administration and professional development and responsibility
- Preparing the student to be successful on the BOC certification exam
- Preparing the student to develop critical thinking skills to be a productive member of society
Athletic Training Program Director
Solano Hall 4021
Send an Email