Physical Education Teacher Education Option

Craig Tacla

Office: Solano Hall 4027
Phone: 916-278-5034

Julie Kuehl-Kitchen

Office: Solano Hall 4042
Phone: 916-278-4022

Michael Wright

Office: Solano Hall 1003
Phone: 916-278-5689

Maureen Smith

Office: Solano Hall 4033
Phone: 916-278-6237

Lindy Valdez

Office: Solano Hall 4023
Phone: 916-278-4471

Bachelor of Science - Physical Education
Teacher Education Option (PETE)

Units required for Major: 57
All of which must be completed with a grade of "C" or better.
Minimum total units for the BS: 120

Note: Additional units may be required to meet the CSUS foreign language requirement.

PETE Option

One option, the Physical Education Teacher Education (PETE) option, is designed to prepare students for a career in teaching physical education in the California public school system. Aspiring professionals whom successfully complete the accredited PETE program will obtain subject matter competency (SMC), a requirement for many teacher licensure programs.
Students completing the PETE option may choose to pursue their teaching license through Sac State’s Teaching Credentials Department, which is housed in the College of Education. In part, the vision of the Teaching Credentials Department is to model high quality teaching that exemplifies professional standards as elucidated in California Teaching Performance Expectations (TPES). Students will find that many of their experiences within the credential program are strengthened by the collaborative relationships with public school districts, schools, and community agencies.

Note: Due to policy changes from the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing and federal mandates, the Physical Education Concentration periodically is reviewed and changed to meet current state and federal standards. Consult a Physical Education Concentration Advisor for details and course requirements once they are available; please see

Please see the University Catalog for the most up to date cirriculum requirements for this program.

For information on transferring course credits from a California public community college or university, visit