The graduate program in nursing requires completion of at least 33 units of coursework. The program is normally completed in six semesters of part-time study, beginning in the fall semester. Alternative programs of study may be arranged, but they must be approved by a faculty advisor. See nursing course descriptions for prerequisites. An outline of degree requirements follows:
Advanced Clinical/Educator Role (33 Units)
Core Courses (15 units)
- (3) - NURS 209 - Advanced Role Development in Nursing
- (3) - NURS 210 - Research as the Foundation for Advanced Nursing
- (3) - NURS 213 - Seminar in Organizational and Systems Leadership
- (3) - NURS 214 - Educational Program Development in Nursing
- (3) - NURS 215 - Community Health Services and Policy
Advanced Clinical/Educator Role Courses (15 units)
- (3) - NURS 230 - Advanced Concepts in Pathophysiology
- (3) - NURS 231 - Pharmacology for Advanced Practice
- (3) - NURS 232 - Advanced Physical Assessment across the Lifespan
- (3) - NURS 293 - Practicum in Specialized Nursing Processes: Organizational and Systems Leadership
- (3) - NURS 294 - Practicum in Educational Program Development in Nursing
Culminating Requirement (3 units)
- (3) - NURS 500 - Culminating Experience (taken after completion of classes and Advancement to Candidacy). A comprehensive exam will be completed for the culminating experience. Students may petition to complete a thesis or project instead.
Family Nurse Practitioner
Not offered. Sacramento State is no longer accepting applications for the joint Sacramento State/UC Davis FNP program. Information regarding the new UC Davis FNP program and other programs available in California may be found on the Board of Registered Nursing website, www.rn.ca.gov/schools/apprograms.shtml#np.
School Nurse (Credential, Master's, and Special Teaching Authorization in Health Options)
The College of Continuing Education, in conjunction with the Sacramento State School of Nursing, is offering the School Nurse (SN) program. The SN program began in 1966 and is academically based in the nursing graduate program at Sacramento State. Program information and application instructions may be found at www.cce.csus.edu/schoolnurse. If you have any questions regarding the application process, please contact the College of Continuing Education at email@example.com. For additional questions, please contact Dr. Dian Baker, School Nurse Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.