In a survey done by the Chronicles of Higher Education, it was found that “Internships came back as the most important thing that employers look for when evaluating a recent college graduate,” says Dan Berrett, senior reporter at the Chronicle. “More important than where they went to college, the major they pursued, and even their grade point average.” For the full article: http://www.marketplace.org/topics/economy/education/internships-become-new-job-requirement
Careers in RPTA
Recreation Therapy is one of two concentrations in RPTA, and RT majors are in very high demand
Internships are numerous in and out of the Sacramento area. Students are required to find their own internship and should begin looking as far as a year in advance.
- Students must have completed all RPTA coursework before beginning their internship.
- All students must have 600 hours of pre-internship before beginning their internship (please speak to your faculty advisor about qualifications for pre-internship hours - these vary per concentration area).
Each semester there is a mandatory meeting for students planning on doing their internship the following semester. Listen for dates announced by your professors and watch for flyers.
Internship Site Locations
The best national source for internships can be found at the Recreation Internship listing. While this site certainly does not list all internships, it is the most complete online source. Most students find internships by watching for postings on department bulletin boards and by making calls to agencies directly.
Finding an internship site is the student's responsibility. However, when agencies contact the department looking for interns, the information is sent to students via their SacLink email.
A list of current contracted Recreation Therapy internship sites can be found here
If you find an agency that is not currently listed on our spreadsheet, please send the following information for the agency to Geraldine at email@example.com:
- Name and title of person legally authorized to sign contracts on behalf of the facility
- Phone number and email address of the above
- Full name and address of the facility
- When this information is received, it will be sent to the university's contract office, and she will get in contact with the agency contact to negotiate details of the contract.
To sign up for an internship, students must fill out several forms which include a contract with the internship agency and a verification of pre-internship hours. For more information regarding internship requirements and procedures, please consult the appropriate Internship Manual. The internship manuals for both Recreation and Park Management (RPM) and Recreation Therapy (RT) can be found on the forms page of the department website.