Frequently Asked Questions
Where do I get my cap, gown and tassel?
- Caps and gowns are available at the Associated Students, Inc. (ASI) business office on the third floor of the University Union. Purchase your cap and gown early to insure proper size. Call (916) 278-7916 to confirm their hours of operation.
- Honor cords will be available at the ASI cashier window for those bachelor graduates who qualify for University Honors with a cumulative Sacramento State grade point average of 3.5 or higher (excluding extension).
- Tassels – master’s degree candidates will place the tassel on the left side of the cap. Bachelor’s degree candidates will wear the tassel on the right side of the cap until after the conferring of the degrees. There will be oral instructions from the stage to move the tassel to the left side.
Will my name be in the printed Commencement Program Book?
- The appropriate petition to graduate forms must have been filed with Admissions and Records. For more information on petitions to graduate, click on http://www.csus.edu/registrar/graduation/. To confirm your name in the program, please contact the commencement office at (916) 278-4724 or email@example.com prior to Monday, April 25, 2016. The College of Health & Human Services is not responsible for the printed program. Please note: Signing up to walk does not guarantee that your name will be printed in the Commencement Program. See below for information about names being read out loud at the ceremony.
How do I know if I am receiving Academic Honors? And if I am, how do I get my Honor Cord?
- For recognition of graduation with honors at commencement ceremonies a qualifying GPA must be met before the semester in which ceremonies are held. If a student subsequently improves his/her GPA, honors at graduation will be posted on the official academic record and the diploma. However, the student will not be able to acquire an honor cord for the commencement ceremonies. Honor cords will be available for purchase at the ASI Student Shop, on the third floor of the University Union, for those bachelor's degree graduates who qualify for University Honors with a cumulative CSUS grade point average of 3.5 or higher (excluding extension).
Will my name be read out loud at the Commencement Ceremony?
- YES! All students who attend the Commencement Ceremony will have their names read out loud by a Faculty Presenter from the College of Health and Human Services. When you arrive there will be a card on your seat for you to fill out. Please be sure to print your name clearly on the card and provide a phonetic spelling if your name is difficult to pronounce.
What if my family or friends are disabled? Are there any special arrangements I need to make?
For the graduate:
- Graduates with disabilities who need special accommodations should contact the College of Health & Human Services and the Office of Services to Students with Disabilities prior to the commencement ceremony.
- Reasonable accommodations will be made for all guests with disabilities. Prior to commencement, we ask that you contact the Commencement Office by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (916) 278-4724 with your name, college, phone number, email address and the names of the disabled guests. On graduation day, please have them locate the Special Guest Services Table location is TBA at the moment. Sacramento State commencement staff will escort your guests to reserved seats. Due to space limitations, disabled seating is only reserved for the disabled guest. Family members can meet the disabled guest back at the Special Guest Service table when the ceremony has concluded.
- A sign language interpreter is on the stage during the ceremony and can be viewed on the pavilion’s video screens.
- Guide dogs are allowed in the pavilion. Guests should bring their guide dog’s certification and be prepared to present the certificate to pavilion security at the entrance. No other animals are permitted.
I heard I have to sign up to "walk." How do I do that?
- Information for requirements can be found from the Commencement Office 278-4724.
- Web information for Commencement is at http://www.csus.edu/commence
- HHS no longer needs the secondary signup. Tickets for graduate guests are purchased for no cost but limited in number through the Commencement website above.