Using the Facility

Built Environment

The NCIC's built environment library is currently unrestricted. The public is encouraged to make use of NCIC's extensive built environment database in order to learn more about the history of their community. In general, there is no charge for this research (other fees apply). Historical Resources Consultants working on paid projects, however, are charged an hourly fee whether research is conducted in person or by NCIC staff.


Archeological resources are nonrenewable and easily damaged. Their scientific, ethno-cultural, and aesthetic values can be significantly impaired by disturbance. Therefore, access to such information is restricted in order to prevent vandalism and artifact hunting, and to protect landowners from trespass. Those granted access to the archaeological archives of the Information Center sign an agreement of confidentiality whereby they agree to keep site content and location information confidential by not disclosing it to unauthorized individuals or including it in publicly-distributed documents. (California Government Section 6254.10 exempts archaeological sites from the California Public Records Act requiring that public records be open to public inspection.)

Access to Site Information is Limited to
These Individuals Under the Following Conditions:

Historical Resources Consultants, upon first contact, must provide a resume to be kept on file at the NCIC. They must agree to share the results of their study with the NCIC. Consultants working on paid projects are charged an hourly fee for access to all historical resources data, whether research is conducted in person or by NCIC staff.

Landowners who wish to know about archaeological sites on their property must confirm their request in writing along with proof of ownership (such as a deed or current tax statement which clearly links their name with an Assessor's Parcel map depicting property boundaries), and a Vicinity Map depicting the parcel in a larger context. If the landowner elects to have a representative, in addition to the above, that person must also retain a letter from the landowner authorizing the release of information to said representative. In general, there is no fee for the research (other fees apply), whether conducted in person or by NCIC staff.

Scholars should bring confirmation of their affiliation such as a resume or student identification card, and if applicable, a letter from the supervising professor describing the project on which they are working. Access is considered scholarly if the individual is working on an unpaid project, such as a term paper, a graduate document, or a professional presentation. In general there is no fee when research is conducted in person (other fees apply). There is a fee, however, if research is conducted by NCIC staff.