Scholarships and Awards
The History Department offers several scholarships and awards for undergraduate history majors . Students must be enrolled at Sacramento State during both the Fall and Spring semesters of the academic year in which they apply in order to receive funding.
Download the paper application for specific requirements and deadlines. Most applications and papers should be submitted to the History Department office in Tahoe 3080 by April 15, 2017. For a list of recent recipients, see the Student Awards section.
- The McGowan Prize is the History Department's oldest and most venerable award. It provides around $200 for the best paper written by an undergraduate history major.
- The Peter H. Shattuck Undergraduate Scholarship provides two scholarships of approximately $5,000 each for selected undergraduate students.
- The Professor Thomas Swift History Scholarship provides one scholarship of approximately $3,000 for a history major, preferably with a focus on Asian history.
- The Department of History Undergraduate Scholarship provides approximately $2,000 for a selected undergraduate student.
- The Senator Nicholas C. Petris Scholarship is for students pursuing Hellenic Studies. Award amounts vary and applications are submitted to the Hellenic Studies Program through the History Department.
Please see the California State University - Sacramento Scholarship List for other opportunities that may be available. Sacramento State has gone to a great deal of effort to connect students with applicable scholarships. Please note that some of the Sacramento State scholarships give preference to History majors, such as the James William Whitsell Memorial Scholarship.
Peter H. Shattuck Undergraduate Scholarship
- Alayna Campos ($5,000)
- Jalil Kochai ($5,000)
Department of History Undergraduate Scholarship
- Nicole Allison ($2,000)
Joseph A. McGowan Award
- Michelle Bowler ($250)
Senator Nicholas C. Petris Scholarship in Hellenic Studies
- Katherine Koulouris ($2,500)
- Megan Bruner ($2,500)
- Solon Skarlatos ($1,000)
- Jason Dean ($1,000)