Honors Students attend Model U.N. Conference
Over Spring Break, three Honors students got to visit New York to participate in a Model U.N. conference! Wyatt Mince, from Cohort 8, and Thomas Ayotte and Noel Mora, from Cohort 9, represented the Association for Women's Rights in Development and the Third World Network. The students received an Honorable Mention award and a Distinguished Delegation Award, and Wyatt received an individual award for Best Public Position Paper.
Fundraising Event: Old Spaghetti Factory
On Wednesday, March 15th, from 4:00pm - 10:00pm Honors will have a fundraiser night at the Old Spaghetti Factory located at 1910 J Street, Sacramento, CA 95811 and they will donate 15% of all purchases to the Honors Program. All proceeds will be going towards Honors Ball.
Be sure to show our event flier or mention Sac State Honors to your server. Fliers will be available in the Honors Lounge on the day of the event!
Interested in joining the Honors Program family? We will begin accepting applications for the 2017-2018 academic year starting October 1, 2016! Applications will be accepted until we have filled all available positions!
The GE Honors Program is fortunate to work with some of the most outstanding faculty Sacramento State has to offer. Dr. Roberto Pomo served as the first GE Honors Program Director and we are proud to see him recognized for his outstanding ability as an educator.
As a program, we strive to give back to our local Sacramento community. One way be achieve this is participating in the annual Great American River Park Clean-Up where students beautify the American River by collecting and disposing of trash.
"Honors" Means Family
Each year our students take on one of the largest corn mazes in California, the Dixon Corn Maze! In 2015, students from Cohorts 7, 8, 9, and 10 conquered the maze once again!
Experience Study Abroad
The Honors program strongly encourages its students to study abroad. Not only does Sacramento State offer study abroad programs, but the Honors Program offers trips to places like Costa Roca, Paris, and Hong Kong where students spend two - three weeks immersing themselves into a new culture while earning transferrable college credit.
Honors Ball is one of the most beloved events for students, faculty, and staff! A fantastic annual celebration at the end of each Spring semester, Honors Ball, is a wonderful opportunity for students to dance the night away with their peers. Pictured are six alumni from Cohort 1 as well as Dr. Greg Wheeler and Dr. Roberto Pomo with his wife Gail Pomo.
To purchase your Honors Ball 2017 ticket online, click here.
Seperate from the University graduation ceremony, Honors Graduation is an intimate affair that allows the program to congratulate Honors students on their success. Honors students are awarded with a medal and certificate on their completion from the program.
Honors In Action
Spring 2017 Events
*Event dates/times are subject to change, stay up to date with your Cohort Rep!
- First Friday Brown Bag Lunch. February 3, 2017. Honors Lounge. 12:00PM - 1:00PM. Bring your lunch to The Lounge and take part our First Friday discussion.
- Honors Spring Covocation. February 3, 2017. The University Union, Redwood Room. 5:30PM - 7:00PM, Doors Open at 5:00PM. Join us for our kick-off to the semester and attend our Fall Honors Convocation.
- Trivia Night. February 3, 2017. The University Union, Redwood Room. 7:00PM - 8:00PM. Directly following Convocation, the student committee will be hosting Trivia Night.
- Top Golf Night. Feburary 10, 2017. Meet in The Lounge. 5:30PM - 9:30PM. Head over to Roseville for a fun night at Top Golf.
- Second Saturday Movie Matinee. February 11, 2017. Honors Lounge. 2:00PM - 5:00PM. Watch and discuss a movie with Dr. Gregory with snacks.
- First Friday Brown Bag Lunch. March 3, 2017. Honors Lounge. 12:00PM - 1:00PM. Bring your lunch to The Lounge and take part our First Friday discussion.
- Capture the Flag. March 4, 2017. Meet in The Lounge. 11:00AM - 3:00PM. Who doesn't want to play a game of capture the flag the size of campus? Wear your sports attire and join in the fun!
- Tea Party. March 8, 2017. Honors Lounge. 12:00PM - 2:00PM. Come to the The Lounge for some afternoon tea.
- Letters to Soldiers. March 9, 2017. Honors Lounge. 10:00AM - 3:00PM. Throughout the day the student committee will be writing letters to our soldiers.
- Second Saturday Movie Matinee. March 11, 2017. Honors Lounge. 2:00PM - 5:00PM. Watch and discuss a movie with Dr. Gregory with snacks.
- Pi Day Fundraiser. March 14, 2017. Location, Time, and Activity; TBA.
- Crafts Day. March 15, 2017. Honors Lounge. 10:00AM - 2:00PM. Stop by The Lounge and destress from mid-terms by making crafts with the student committee.
- Old Spaghetti Factory Fundraiser. March 15, 2017. J Street Old Spaghetti Factory. 4:00PM - 10:00PM. Make sure you get some food from the Old Spaghetti Factory, 15% of all purchases will be donated to the Honors Program for Honors Ball.
- Open Mic Night. March 16, 2017. Honors Lounge. 5:00PM - 8:00PM. A favorite semester annual event, stay after-hours and see what talents your fellow honors students possess.
- Daffodil Hill Picnic. March 25, 2017. Location & Time: TBA.
- American River Clean-Up. March 31, 2017. Meet outside the AIRC. 1:00PM - 2:30PM. Spend the afternoon giving back to our local community by cleaning up trash along the American River.
- Games Night. April 6, 2017. Honors Lounge. 5:00PM - 8:00PM. Spend the evening unwinding with cards, board games, video games, etc. at our semester annual games night.
- First Friday Brown Bag Lunch. April 7, 2017. Honors Lounge. 12:00PM - 1:00PM. Bring your lunch to The Lounge and take part our First Friday discussion.
- Second Saturday Movie Matinee. April 8, 2017. Honors Lounge. 2:00PM - 5:00PM. Watch and discuss a movie with Dr. Gregory with snacks.
- Saferides Night. April 14, 2017. Check with Honors Student Committee for Details.
- Honors 3 One Book Long Read. April 17 - 20, 2017. Library Quad, Behind Fountain. 3:00PM - 4:15PM. Stop by the Library Quad for a special public reading by our Honors 3 classes of the 2016-2017 One Book: The Other Wes Moore.
- Honors Ball. April 29, 2017. The Harper Alumni Center. 6:00PM - 10:00PM. Dance the night away with your peers and faculty at our annual Honors Ball event. Tickets are available for purchase from Committee members or online; to purchase your ticket online, click here.
- Sac State 5K. May 4, 2017. Check with the Honors Student Committee for Details.
- First Friday Brown Bag Lunch. May 5, 2017. Honors Lounge. 12:00PM - 1:00PM. Bring your lunch to The Lounge and take part our First Friday discussion.
- Field Day. May 13, 2017. Meet in the WELL Quad. 11:00AM - 2:00PM. The student committee will be hosting field games before that finals week stress kicks in.
- Second Saturday Movie Matinee. May 13, 2017. Honors Lounge. 2:00PM - 5:00PM. Watch and discuss a movie with Dr. Gregory with snacks.
- Honors Graduation. May 11, 2017. The University Union, Redwood Room. 5:30PM - 9:00PM, Doors Open at 5:00PM.