Continuation of Health Coverage (COBRA)
Benefits Eligibility At A Glance
Staff: Appointment with length of more than 6 months and timebase of half-time or more.
Instructional Faculty: 12-month or Academic Year appointment with length of more than 6 months and minimum 7.5 weighted teaching units.
Lecturer or Coach: 12-month appointment with length of more than 6 months and minimum 7.5 weighted teaching units or AY appointment for minimum of one semester and 6 weighted teaching units.
*Remember, regardless if employed as a staff member or faculty member, qualifying appointments can be either permanent or temporary.
- The Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) of 1985 was enacted into law on April 7, 1986, and applies to the California State University through the Public Health Service Act.
- Generally, COBRA permits covered individuals who lose coverage under the plan(s) as a result of certain “qualifying events” to elect to continue their coverage under the plan(s) for a prescribed period of time on a self-pay basis, for up to 18, 29 or 36 months, depending on the qualifying event.
- The individual pays 102% of the monthly premium or 150% of the monthly premium for a COBRA extension due to disability.
- A COBRA Qualifying Event Election Notice will be sent to your mailing address upon your separation or loss of benefits eligibility status.
- This notice contains information regarding continuing coverage through COBRA, COBRA rates, and the election form you will need to complete should you decide to elect COBRA.