Manager-Initiated Classification Review Request
An appropriate administrator may request a review based on changes in duty assignments and/or skill level which Management believes may impact the current classification level. Management may submit reviews at any time; however, requests will be reviewed on a first-come-first-serve basis.
NOTE: For Program Center budget planning, management-initiated review requests that are received in Human Resources in May and June might not be completed by the end of the fiscal year, depending on workload.
1. Each position recommended for classification/skill level review should first be approved by the appropriate Program Center Manager or Dean. Once completed review request materials are approved, the Program Center Manager or Dean will forward the request package to the appropriate Vice President’s Office. The Vice President will review the request and forward it to the Office of Human Resources. NOTE: Any positions submitted to the Office of Human Resources without first going through the appropriate Vice President’s Office, will be returned to the initiating department for proper submission process.
All of these documents are required at the time of submission. Incomplete packets will be returned to the initiating department.
- One (1) copy of the “old” (former) position description.
- One (1) original plus three (3) copies of the “new” position description signed by the employee, supervisor and Appropriate Administrator (HEERA Designated Manager). In signing the position description, the employee acknowledges that they understand management has the right to establish work assignments. The appropriate Dean or Program Center Manager must also counter sign the position description signifying concurrence with the contents and the review process. The position description form is available on the HR Forms web page under Classification & Compensation.
- One (1) copy of an up-to-date department organization chart showing incumbents’ names, classifications, working titles and reporting relationships.
- A memorandum that explains why the review request is being submitted. The memo should include a signature line for the appropriate Vice President to sign when the paperwork is sent to him/her.
2. Reviews will be performed on a first-come-first-serve basis. The date a complete classification review request is received in HR, as well as the workload within the Classification unit, will determine actual review dates.
3. Reviews may include an interview with the employee, supervisor and other appropriate administrator(s). This is in addition to the analysis of the position description(s), the Classification and Qualification Standard(s), and other factual information. Internal campus position alignment is an important consideration in classification/skill level determination.
4. The Office of Human Resources will reach a classification/skill level decision and forward the written findings (the classification determination letter, along with additional copies for the manager and employee) to the Vice President for review. Once the Vice President has reviewed the classification determination letter, the copies are then forwarded to the manager for review and distribution to the employee. When the manager and the employee receive their copies, they must sign and date the “Manager/Employee Sign-Off” form to denote receipt. This form accompanies their copies of the classification determination letter, and should be returned to the Office of Human Resources promptly.
5. Occasionally, the review is postponed for appropriate reasons, such as an employee on leave or a pending reorganization.
For more information on the Classification & Compensation program (information, policy and procedures), please refer to the Classification Program web page.