The Institute has worked with other organizations in the state toward developing and implementing an effective state accountability system for higher education. Specific efforts have included:
- Conducting a major study for the California State Senate that recommends a framework for statewide accountability for higher education in California;
- Leading an advisory group to develop specific principles, procedures, and performance indicators in support of statewide accountability aimed at meeting vital state public policy goals;
- Reviewing and making recommendations regarding legislation to implement an accountability system;
- Serving on an advisory group assisting the California Postsecondary Education Commission (CPEC) in its efforts to develop a proposal for statewide accountability for higher education in California;
- Serving on an advisory group assisting the California Community Colleges Chancellorís Office in efforts to implement the systemís Strategic Plan;
- Becoming involved in national discussions of accountability, including consulting work in Connecticut, Ohio, and Colorado, and working with the National Center for Public Policy and Higher Education and the State Higher Education Executive Officer's (SHEEO) National Commission on Accountability.
A Framework for Incorporating Public Trust Issues in States' Higher Education Accountability Plans, April 2005
A Fundamentally New Approach to Accountability: Putting State Policy Issues First, October 2003
An Accountability Framework for California Higher Education: Informing Public Policy and Improving Outcomes, November 2002
Principles for Effective Statewide Accountability Testimony to the California Legislature Joint Committee on the Master Plan for Higher Education, March 22, 2010
Return to Golden: A Public Agenda for California Higher Education.
Testimony to the Senate Education Committee on accountability, January 31, 2007
Accountability in Higher Education: Where California Is (or Isn't)
Accountability for State Policy Purposes: A Different Focus
A Fundamentally New Approach to Accountability: Putting State Policy Issues First
A Proposed Accountability Framework for California Higher Education
Recommendations from Commissioned Report: "An Accountability Framework for California Higher Education: Informing Public Policy and Improving Outcomes"