Systems for Business
Monday and Wednesday, 1:15-2:45 p.m.,
Involves the study of
generalized database management systems. The study will include logical data
base models and physical base models based primarily on the relational and
object-relational models. The student will create and manipulate a database
utilizing an established database management system. The importance of data
administration and other database related topics such as independence,
integrity, privacy, query, backup, and recovery will be covered.
Prerequisite: MIS 120, MIS 175. 3 units.
and Oracle Developer (version 6) for Windows XP will be used. See
before installing them. Warning! To correct any installation
problems (i.e., incorrectly installed Oracle software), you must first
uninstall everything and then delete them from the Windows registry.
Thus, it's best to follow the instructions.
Exam Essay Questions| Handouts and
Database Systems: A Practical Approach
to Design, Implementation and Management, 4th edition, Thomas Connolly and
Carolyn Begg. Addison Wesley (2005), ISBN: 0 321 21025 5. (Required)
Exam Essay Questions
Top of page
Handouts and Class Notes
- Week 1 - Introduction (updated: Aug. 29)
- Week 2 - Database vs. file-based systems (updated: Sept. 7)
- Week 3 - Three-level architecture, DBMS, relational
data model, views (updated: Sept. 12)
- Week 4 - Relational algebra and calculus, intro to
SQL: projections and joins (updated: Sept. 19)
- Week 5 - Oracle control files, basic data types, SQL:
creating and altering tables, integrity constraints, DML (updated: Sept. 26)
- Week 6 - SQL: Joins, set operations, aggregation
functions, subqueries ANY/ALL and EXIST/NOT EXIST, table INSERT, DELETE and
DROP; Oracle: Format models, SUBSTRing, TRUNCation and MODulus functions (Updated:
- Week 7 - Host and lexical reference variables, database planning (updated: Oct. 10)
- Week 8 - Database planning and design, ERD (updated:
- Week 9 - ERD (updated: Oct. 23)
- Week 10 - Data normalization (updated: Oct. 30)
- Week 11 - Data normalization, database design
methodology: conceptual, logical and physical database design (updated: Nov.
- Week 12 - Answer to Homework 3, part 1 (updated:
Week 12 - Answer to Homework 3, part 2, physical
database design (updated: Nov. 16)
- Week 14 - Database security, transaction management and concurrently controls, distributed DB, database warehousing, data marts and MMDBMS, OODBMS (updated: Nov.
- Week 15 - No classes (work on DB project)
Top of page
Get Adobe Reader