Wednesday, 6:00-8:45 p.m., Tahoe Hall (TAH) 1002
of this class is to expose students to information technology(IT) and organizational
issues that have significant impacts on strategicplanning. Emphasis will
be placed on examining future technology plansas they are influenced by the
competitive environment, corporate cultureand other organization behavior
aspects. This course will enable students to compareIT management concepts
to their actual (practical) application, and theunique positions taken by
Some of the class
sessions will be conducted by executives and manager. Discussionwill focus
on issues in the strategic management of IT. Travel to localcorporate sites
will be required.
Syllabus|Exam Essay Questions|Class Notes|
- (MSBA/MIS) MIS 219 and the
completion of at leastone other MS/MIS core course (MIS 214, 216. 217), or
the consent of theinstructor.
- (MBA/MCAP) MIS 221 and consent
of the instructor.
These are compressed, self-extracting files that must be saved (downloaded) to your hard drive. To extract the Power Point file, double-click on the file name in Windows Explorer.
- Week 1 American Airlines and Sabre, strategy, strategic planning
- Week 2 Management trends, IT and strategy, e-Commerce
- Week 3 Traditional business vs. e-Business models, networked organizations, SISP
- Week 4 SISP
- Week 5 Model of strategic IT planning process, IT architecture and value, managing IT function
- Week 6 IT architecture, managing IT function, managing IT outsourcing
- Week 7 Strategic IT planning process paper, managing IT outsourcing
- Week 8 IT outsourcing, managing IT operations
- Week 9 Project portfolios
- Ken Taylor Presentation
- No Class November 13 (Work on your paper)
- Steve Scott, VSP Presentation
- On-campus presentation November 20
- Mr. Dave Padmos, IBM (formerly Pricewaterhouse Coopers), November 20 (uncertain)
- No Class November 27 (Work on your paper)
Top of page
Who's making the big bucks?
Adobe Acrobat Reader required.