Teaching Problem-Solving with Educational Technology
Forum Assignment #2 - Problem-Based Learning
Assigned 09/30/07 - Due 10/07/07
At our first class meeting, we explored and experimented with collaborative learning through the use of Google Docs and message boards (the forum). We used visual learning software to connect prior knowledge to new knowledge. We analyzed a wide variety of Problem-based lessons and their online equivalent, the WebQuest. For this assignment, we will dig deeper into Problem-based learning and begin to formulate plans for the final project.
- Problem based learning has its roots in methods used to train doctors in their role as diagnosticians. The Samford University web site provides a summary of characteristics for the problem-based learning strategy. In the 'Background' section, a compare and contrast section aids in the evaluation of problem-based learning against several other teaching strategies. The process section defines the role of the teacher and student locates PBL with the framework of a curriculum map. The evaluation section provides tools and research links.
Read: Background of Problem-Based Learning
- Explore: the WebQuest site thoroughly.
- Review: the Introduction to the COE Forum page, specifically; the rules of Internet Etiquette, the rubric for forum posts, and How to participate in the COE forum, before submitting your work to the COE forum.
(Remember to Login to the forum or you will show up as anonymous. Since I do not know who anonymous is...you will not receive credit for the assignment!)
Write a response (reply to this prompt) on the COE forum which addresses the following questions and reply to two peers with constructive feedback.
- Review and think about how problem based learning is different than traditional modes of learning.
- What is your current thinking about what the subject of your final project will be?
- How might you employ problem based learning its development?
- What are the challenges that might be associated with employing problem based learning strategies?
- Once you have an idea or ideas for a topic, spend time researching your topic online.
- Are there good resources available on you topic?
- Does your chosen topic lend itself somehow to the WebQuest format and problem based learning in general?
- Refine your concept based upon what you learn while researching your topic.
- Respond on the COE Forum to two peers with constructive feedback. (Internet Etiquette)
Please email me email@example.com if you need assistance or have a question regarding this assignment.
Students will need an e-mail account and computer access to the Web. All Sacramento State students enrolled in one or more units can create a SacLink account for e-mail. Although a home computer with Internet access running Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox or Netscape Navigator would be beneficial, students can access the Internet from one of the campus student labs. Check out System Check and Computer Hardware Recommendations for more information about equipment.
Last updated: 10/04/2007