CHEMISTRY 31 - QUANTITATIVE ANALYSIS
Meeting time, place:
Lecture – 11:00 to 11:50, Monday and Wednesday, Douglas 212; Laboratory – Sequoia 446
Lecture: Dr. Roy Dixon (office – Sequoia 446C*, phone 8-6893, email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Laboratory: Sections 2 (MW 8:00 - 10:30) and Sections 3 (MW 1:30 – 4:00) – Dr. Justin Miller-Schulze, Section 4 (TuTh 8:00 - 10:30) – Dr. Jahansooz Toofan/Dr. Roy Dixon and Section 5 (TuTh – 1:00-3:30) – Mr. Patrick Sparks
* office may change to Sequoia 528 mid-semester due to construction
Emphasis of Course Content:
Lecture - Principles and application of chemical equilibria; measurements and associated statistics; titrations; introduction to spectroscopy and chromatography.
Laboratory – Mastering equipment for quantitative handling of chemicals; learning high precision analytical methods; handling of samples; introduction to spectroscopy and chromatography for quantitative analysis; application of statistics; introduction to report writing.
Texts: Harris, Quantitative Chemical Analysis, 8th edition (Note, you may use an earlier edition of the text, but you are responsible for any differences); For Lab, Chemistry 31 Laboratory Manual
Tentative Lecture Schedule (Amount of material covered may change slightly but test dates are rarely changed. Chapters in italics are "review" chapters. Parts of other chapters also are review items):
Topic Week Reading
Measurements (Ch. 1) Jan. 26 13–24
Measurements; Errors (Ch. 3) Feb. 2 51-59
Errors; Statistics (Ch. 4) Feb. 9 59-64; 68-80
Statistics (Ch. 4); Equilibria (Ch. 6) Feb. 16 76-89; 118-130
Equilibria (Ch. 6) Feb. 23 130-136
Equilibria (Ch. 6), Advanced Equilibria (Ch. 7) Mar. 2 143-145
Exam 1 (Ch. 1, 3, 4, part of 6) Mar. 2
Advanced Equilibria (Ch. 7), Strong acids (Ch. 8) Mar. 9 145-158; 163-165
Spectroscopy (Ch. 17); Chromatography (Ch. 22) Mar. 16 393-399; 537-539
Spring Break Mar. 23
Chromatography (Ch. 22) Mar. 30 542-553
Acid-Base Equilibria (Ch.8) April 6 165-173
Acid-Base Equilibria (Ch.8); Polyprotic acids (Ch.9) April 13 173-177; 186-188
Exam 2 (Ch. 7, 17, and 22; parts of Ch. 6 and 8) April 13
Polyprotic acids (Ch.9) April 20 188-195
Polyprotic acids (Ch.9) April 27 193-198
Acid-Base Titrations (Ch.10) May 4 205-210
Acid-Base Titrations (Ch.10), Catch up May 11 210-223
Final Exam May 18 10:15-12:15
Posted Information (homework solutions, example exams, assignments):
At website (http://www.csus.edu/indiv/d/dixonr/C31/C31.htm)
Tentative office hours: Mon 12:00-1:00, Tues. 1:00-2:00, Fri. 10:00-11:00. The office hours for the other lab instructors will be posted online later.
Attendance: Attendance in the lecture will not be taken. However, it is to your benefit to attend the lectures and quizzes can not be made up. In the lab, the instructors reserve the right to drop students who miss too many lab meetings, who fall behind because of attendance problems, or who are consistently late to lab.
The lecture score will account for 55% of the total score with the remainder (45%) from the lab.
2 midterms (100 points each)
Cumulative final exam (150 points)
Exams missed due to exceptional circumstances can be made up on the day of the final exam.
Quizzes (50 points total)
There will be six quizzes (five that count and each worth 10 points). You will be able to drop your lowest quiz score. The first graded quiz will be the diagnostic quiz, with the score based on the "resubmitted" quiz (You get a chance to correct wrong answers).
Homework (25 points total). Text homework problems will be assigned but not collected, but you will be assigned one or two challenging “additional” problem with each homework set that will be collected. Homework is collected roughly every other week.
Laboratory Reports (85 pts) + up to 2 bonus points for lab report peer review
Laboratory Notebook Grading (10 pts)
Lab Procedures Quiz (5 pts)
More details of the laboratory grading is provided in the handout, “Chem. 31 Laboratory Report Schedule”.
Assignment of grades:
The break-down of grades will depend on the class average (in other words be curved), but a higher class average will result in more high grades. The following grading scheme (excluding +’s and –‘s) can be considered “typical”:
A 90 – 100%
B 78 – 90%
C 66 – 78%
D 55 – 66%
NOTE: There is a minimum score requirement of at least 50% in both the lecture and laboratory sections to get a grade of C- or above.
Cheating in class: Student caught cheating during quizzes or exams, falsifying lab data, or plagiarizing reports will be subject to punishment. If you have questions on what constitutes plagiarism, see the instructor. Punishment may range from receiving a zero on the quiz/exam to expulsion from the university (see http://www.csus.edu/umanual/AcademicHonestyPolicyandProcedures.htm).
Prerequisites: Pass Chem 1A and 1B or equivalent with grade of C- or better. Be prepared to show proof that you have met the prerequisites in lab.