Chemistry 1A: Dr. Jeffrey A. Mack
Placement testing for F2014 will begin in late November, go to HERE for dates and locations.
Chem 1A/1E: All
students who want to register for chem 1A or 1E must pass the chemistry
diagnostic exam before instruction begins. The exam will not be offered
after the semester begins. NO EXCEPTIONS!
Upcoming Diagnostic Dates:
Friday, October 24, 2014 1:00pm in Sequoia 301
Thursday November 6, 2014 9:00am in Mendocino 1005
It is most beneficial for students to take the exam as early as possible so that when their registration time comes they are ready to go as opposed to having to wait until the next diagnostic.
- The test can only be taken once per semester and your score is good for 2 semesters.
- You must score a minimum of 35 or greater enroll in chem. 1A/E.
exam cannot be repeated for a better score during a semester's
registration period. If you score below 35 then you must wait until the
next semester to retake the exam.
- If your score is older than two semesters, you must re-take exam.
- Scores will show in your My Sac State Student Center once you take the exam.
- Scores for F14 are already in the system so if you passed the exam, your score has been recorded.
- Scores for S14 do not count towards S15. Score for F14 will count for S15.
- If you do not meet the math pre-req's, you will also need to take the IAD. See below.
Upcoming IAD Exam Dates (Registration with the Math Department required):
The math department will have dates for the IAD up on their web site.
1. Have passed MATH 11 with a C or better so that they are ready for the next level math class.
2. Have taken and passed or be concurrently enrolled in a math class ABOVE MATH 11.
3. Have a IAD (Intermediate Math Diagnostic Test) or Calculus Readiness Test score of 27.
Confirming Math Prerequisites:
Students may show transcripts or their IAD Score. If they show the IAD score, it must be 27 or greater.
Student transcripts or class schedules must show the following:
1. A passing score of C or better in math 11.
2. Any math course where math 11 is a prerequisite such as math 26A/B, math 29 or higher.
3. Stats 1 & 50 DOES meet the requirement if taken at CSUS only.
Math 17 DOES NOT meet the requirements as math 9 is prerequisite.
Math 24 DOES NOT meet the requirements as math 9 is prerequisite.
Beginning this semester, the Department of Chemistry at CSUS will require that all students enrolled in chem. 1A have taken and met the minimum score on the diagnostic placement test prior to the beginning of classes.
Students that fail to take the test by one week before classes will be administratively dropped and their seats in the course will be filled by those with passing scores on the wait lists.
Please follow this link to find out more information on the exam.
The exam has 60 questions broken into three parts:
II: General chemistry knowledge topics
III: Specific chemistry topics
All Students must take the exam to enter chem. 1A.
A minimum score of 35/60 (58.3%) is set at the 65th percentile of all students taking the exam. This equates to a projected grade of D+/C- in chem. 1A.
Diagnostic exam FAQ's:
Can I take the exam more than one time?
I took the exam in a previous semester and scored over 35, do I need to take the exam again?
I took chem. 4 and passed with a C or better do I need to take the exam?
I took another chemistry class at a different college, does that count as passing chem. 4?
I am repeating chem. 1A, do I need to take and pass the diagnostic, even if I passed it last semester?
What if I don't take the exam before school starts, will I be dropped?
- The selected solution manuals and study guide are optional.
- You will need a
calculator that can
perform scientific calculations and
a notebook for discussion.
- I also suggest you have a 3-ring binder or some other portfolio to keep track of your papers.
- You will also need chemistry department approved lab goggles and a lab coat to be worn in the lab sections.
It is expected that you have all of your course materials prior to be start of classes. Issues such as finical aid, fees or scheduling issues are your responsibility. If you are enrolled in the class, then it is up to you to be prepared. I will have review assignments up on mastering chemistry in mid August.
We will be using the "Mastering Chemistry" homework system associated with the text. More information about your HW will be in the course syllabus. (up soon)
The chem. 1A Mastering Chemistry course code is for F14 is:
All lab and discussion materials will be available for free download on the course SacCT site when classes begin.
If you are a new student or have never used SacCT, please go through the student tutorials and registration information found here.
Office Hrs: By appt. over the summer
Here is a link that examines the connection between cell phone use, anxiety and poor grades amongst college students.