to my homepage)
12-2pm M & Wed
Or by appointment
MRP 2061 (916) 278 - 5667
Email is the best way to reach me.
Phone & Fax:
278 - 6333
(916) 278 - 5502
of Foreign Languages
California State University, Sacramento
6000 J Street
Sacramento, CA 95819-6087
Check Japanese Language Program
We will offer JAPN1A, JAPN2A, JAPN116A, JAPN110, JAPN194, JAPN195, JAPN199
Go to Department Page: http://www.csus.edu/fl/japanese/course-offering.html
Other Important Links
Japanese Language Program at CSUS
Japan Club (J-club web page)
Japanese Tutorial Hours and Event
Online Resource for CSUS students
Japan Travel Adventure (Past event)
POSITIONS (Japanese language teaching & research)
- Currently, Professor, California State University at Sacramento
- Associate Professor (Fall 2008 ~ Spring 2013)
- Assistant Professor (Fall
2003 ~Spring 2008)
- Instructor (Spring
2002 - Spring 2003)
- Other responsibilities
1999 - Fall, 2000
Assistant director, Mary Tsukamoto California Japanese Language
Academy, Elk Grove, California-Japanese language teacher credentialing program
1993 - Spring 1999
Coordinator& Instructor, State University of New York at Buffalo,
Buffalo, New York
1992 - June 1993
Instructor, University of California at Davis, Davis, California
1990 - August 1992 & Summer 1993
Instructor, TA, & research assistant, University of Oregon,
1999, 2001, 2002, 2004
Instructor, Summer Japanese Language
Program, International Christian University, Tokyo, Japan
- 2010 Outstanding Advisor Awards Runner-Up by Student Organizations & Leadership, Sacramento State
- 2006 NCJLT Teacher Award for the College Level. The National Council of Japanese Language Teacher (NCJLT) is an organization dedicated to the promotion and development of Japanese language teaching at all educational levels across the United States. Recently, the organization was merged with the American Teachers of Japanese Languages (AATJ).
Click here for pictures
- 2005 FLAGS Outstanding Teacher 2005. Foreign Language Association of Greater Sacramento (FLAGS) is an affiliate of the California Language Teachers' Association, a non-profit, multi-language professional membership organization. Members of FLAGS teach languages other than English and ESL at all levels, kindergarten through university.
List of Selected Publications, Presentations, Web Page Development, and Commission work (click here)
< Japanese Literature and Language Teaching >
Language Teaching and Learning >
- Chapter 5 "Shinsai Tanka: Hisaisha no Koe" (Poems of the Great East Japan Earthquake and Tsunami: Voices of the Victims) in Monty’s Bridge to Tomorrow (a Japanese language and culture textbook) by ScholarWorks@UA (the University of Alaska Anchorage).
- ACTFL AP Kanji Presentations (2010)
“Fun and effective Kanji learning activities using Bloom's taxonomy” at the 44th Annual American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) Conference in Boston, MA, November 20, 2010.
- ACTFL - Japanese Calligraphy Presentation (2011)
“Motivating Learners to Communicate Through Innovative Thematic Approach” at the 45th Annual American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) Conference in Denver, CO, November 18, 2011.
- ACTFL 2012 - Fitness Science (2012)
“Incorporating Fitness Science for Today’s Digital Natives in Japanese Classroom” at the 46th Annual American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) Conference in Philadelphia, PA, November 18, 2012.
- Constructivism - Vygotsky's educational theory
< Language Assessment >
< Professional Development >
< Teaching Using Technology >
- Published the following two writings in「第２章送出し側から見た日本とEUへの短期留学、言語・文化対策との関連」佐藤(編)『日本とEU諸国における短期留学の特徴と高等教育の国際化に果たす役割の比較研究』東京工業大学 Chapter 2. The Short-Term Study Abroad to Japan and Europe and its Relationship to Language and Culture Policy: Senders’ Perspective in Sato (ed.) Comparative Study on Student Exchange to Japan and non-English Speaking EU Countries, Tokyo, Japan: Tokyo Institute of Technology, 2011.
- 1） 「米国の事例１ 米国の派遣留学戦略から学ぶもの」 (With Misako Takeuchi) “US Case Study 1: US Strategies to increase the number of participants in study abroad program,” 87-124.
- 2） 「米国の事例２ 海外での日本語・文化教育と連携し、日本への派遣留学を促進するモデルの提言」 “US Case Study 2: Importance of Japanese language and culture learning overseas: A suggested model based on the US case studies,”125-142.
- "Chapter 3: Foreign Language Education.” In W. Cummings, and J. Hawkins (Eds.), Transnational Competence: Rethinking the U.S. - Japan Educational Relationship. Albany, NY: State University of New York Press, 2000. 41-55.
- <TNC> 政策研究グループ 『グローバル時代の教育戦略 新生トランスナショナリズムの教育：「インターナショナル」から「グローバル」へ』 The Task Force For Transnational Competence: Policy Research Group. Educational Strategies of Global Era – New Education of Transnationalism: From International to Global). Tokyo, Japan: ALC Inc., 1998. 211 pages. Author of different passages, passim.
- The Task Force for Transnational Competence. Towards Transnational Competence. Rethinking International Education: A US-Japan Case Study. New York: Institute of International Education, 1997. 151 pages.
Service to University
Service to Department
- Area head, Japanese Language program (2006 ~ present)
- Assessment Committee (2004 ~ present)
- RTP Committee (2013 ~ present)
- Search Committee (2013 ~)
- Part-time committee (2008 ~ present)
- Technology (2004 ~ present)
- Curriculum Committee (2004-2006)
- Public Relationship Committee (2004-2006)
Language Day Committee (web) (2002-2006)
International Night (2005, 2006) to celebrate outstanding students. Slide show = click HERE.
Service to Students
- Japan Club adviser (Fall 2004 ~ present)
- Japan Club as Outstanding Organization (2009)!
- Japan Club Web Page
- 2014 FALL: President Jeremy Durant, Vice President Emynee Danielle
- 2013 FALL: President Lilian Diep, Vice President Alex, Adviser Josh
- 2012 FALL: President Josh Navarra, Vice President Alex
- 2012 SPRING: President Chris Bouget, Vice President Josh
- 2011 FALL: President Mariah & Vice President Brandon
- 2011 SPRING: President Stephanie Pan & Vice President Brandon
- 2010 FALL: President Chris Ellis & Vice President Stephanie Pan
- 2009 - 2010: President Cesar Chavez & Vice President Mark Lopez
- 2008 - 2009: President Sachiko Kobayashi & Vice President Alan Kwan
- 2007 - 2008: President Christofer Lamb & Sachiko
- 2006 - 2007: President Brian Berry & Vice President Takahiro Takahashi
- 2005 - 2006: President Makito Shirasaka & Vice President Akina Tagi
(J-Club members visited Yukiko sensei's class on March 4, 2005)
- 2004 - 2005: President Isaiah Johnson & Vice President Teruyuki Kojima
- JAlumni Web Page
Professional Associations ::