Thought Questions for Exam 3
1. Describe B-cell development/maturation. Where does this event occur?
2. Describe the activation of mature B-cells by Thymus-dependent Antigens.
3. Describe the activation of mature B-cells by Thymus-independent Antigens.
4. What is a BCR complex and what are the components?
5. How is B-cell differentiation induced?
6. What is the difference between a plasma cell and a memory B-cell?
7. How is isotype (or class) switching induced? Why do these cell have to undergo isotype switching?
8. Name and describe the function(s) of all classes of immunoglobulin. Where is each most likely to be located in your body?
9. What is/are the function(s) of immunoglobulin? What type of cells and/or molecules must also be involved?
10. How is affinity maturation induced? Name and describe the types of affinity maturation that occur in an activated B-cell.
11. Discuss some of the aspects that must be consider when designing a vaccine. How can vaccines be kept safe and effective?
12. What is the difference between a Primary Immune Response versus a Secondary Immune Response [then a Tertiary Immune Response]? Are immunoglobulin affinity further altered? Why and How?
13. What is/are the difference(s) between the production of memory B-cells and the production of memory T-cells?
14. What is an allergen? What type of immune response is involved? How are the modes of entry related to the types of symptoms observed? What is the difference between an immediate hypersensitivity reaction versus a late-phase hypersensitivity reaction? Describe the importance of an inflammatory response during an allergic reaction.