:: Papers and Publications :: Research
Projects :: Professional Associations
Grants and Awards
Professor of History
- Director Public History Program
Coordinator, North Central Information Center
Wednesday, 9:00-12:00 and by appointment
6000 J Street
Sacramento, CA 95819-6059
Courses Taught ::
and Publications ::
- Paul J.P. Sandul and Lee M. A. Simpson, Fair Oaks, California. San Francisco: Arcadia, 2005.
- Selling the City: Gender, Class and the California Growth Machine, 1880-1940. PPPalo Alto: Stanford University Press, 2004.
- Lee M. A. Simpson, ed., Sacramento's Oak Park. San Francisco: Arcadia, 2004.
- Lee M. A. Simpson, ed., East Sacramento. San Francisco: Arcadia, 2004.
County, Minnesota. Chicago: Arcadia, 2000.
Citizenship: Documents in the History of Democracy and Citizenship
in America. New York: Forbes, 1999.
- "Disney, Dodgers, and the Urban Design of Los Angeles" Reviews in American History (June 2005)
- Review of Paul Hogan's The Failure of Planning in Pacific Historical Review (May 2004)
- Review of Houston's Downtown Historic District, in Public Historian (Spring 2003)
of Max Kurillo and Erline Tuttles California's El Camino
Real and Its Historic Bells, in Public Historian (Fall 2002).
Editor, Boosters in the West, Special issue of Journal
of the West (Fall 2003)
and Businesswomen: Women and the Chamber of Commerce in California
Cities, 1880-1930. Journal of the West. (Fall 2003)
of Greg Hise and William Deverells, Eden by Design: The
1930 Olmsted-Bartholomew Plan for the Los Angeles Region, H-net
Book Reviews, Published by H-California (December, 2000).
Real Estate, and Urban Growth: A Case Study of Two Generations
of Women Property Owners in Redlands, California, 1880-1940,"California
History, LXXVI (Spring 1997): 24-43.
- Museums and Public Memory: Whom do we Serve?" California Capitol Museum Visitor's Association, Sacramento, CA, January 21, 2005.
- Who Melted in the Melting Pot?: Immigration in America. Salem Lutheran Church, Adult Education Forum, St. Cloud, MN Feb. 27, 2000.
Homes in America: Gender, Capitalism and the 20th Century Urban
Growth Machine, 1920-1940, Northern Great Plains History
Conference, St. Cloud, MN, October 6-9, 1999
and Memory: The Legacy of Japanese American Internment in World
War II, Women on Wednesday Program, St. Cloud State University
Womens Center, St. Cloud, MN, February 17, 1999
Chase, Better Homes, and the Community Arts Association: the Capitalist
Marketing of Santa Barbara, California, 1930-1950, National Conference
on Policy History, St. Louis, MO, May 27-30, 1999
Local History: Research in the A. K. Smiley Public Library,
St. Cloud State University, St. Cloud, MN, February 20, 1998
Real Estate, and the Capitalist Marketing of a California City:
Redlands, California, 1880-1940, Phi Alpha Theta Presentation,
St. Cloud State University, St. Cloud, MN, September 30, 1998
Power of Property: Women Land Owners and Their Vision of Urban
Redlands, California, 1880-1940, Gender Symposium, Lewis
& Clark College, Portland, OR, March, 1998
the Urban Growth Machine: Pearl Chase and the Santa Barbara Planning
Vision," meeting of the Society of American City and Regional
Planning History, Seattle, WA., October 24-26, 1997
in the Twentieth-Century Urban West, Murray State University
Colloquium, Murray, KY, February 28, 1997
Art of Research in Non-Traditional Libraries and Archives,"
Western Oregon University, Monmouth, OR, November 14, 1996
and Realities of the American West," Converse College Colloquium,
Spartanburg, SC, January 22, 1996
Sunkist Archives: A Business Archive in Transition," annual
meeting of the California Council for the Promotion of History,
Ontario, CA, October 29, 1992
growth and urban planning in the American West
and the built environment
preservation and urban planning
- Better Homes in America: Capitalism and Christianity in Collision
and Awards ::
Professional Development Program, Minnesota Department of Education
Research Grant, St. Cloud State University (2000-2001)
Graduate Student Research Grant Graduate Division, University
of California, Riverside (1993-96)
Fellowship, Department of History, University of California, Riverside
Research Travel Grant, Department of History, University of California,
Research Grant, Graduate Dean, University of California, Riverside
of the Year, Kappa Delta Pi, St. Cloud State University, 2000
Omicron Delta Kappa, Willamette University, 1989-90
Board, Willamette University, 1989-1990
List, Willamette University, 1986-1990
at Entrance, Willamette University, 1986