ComS 222 Analysis of Electronic Media Paper Assignment
To experience a variety of interactions online
To compare the nature of online and face to face interactions as instructional contexts
To reflect on those experiences from an instructional communication perspective
To account for (explain) the affordances and limitations of various mediated experiences by applying relevant communication theory.
In order to accomplish this assignment you will need to start immediately so you have sufficient time to find and subscribe to appropriate online lists, discussion groups or courses that provide sufficient “traffic” for you to assess the experiences. You will participate with those lists, discussions or courses you subscribe as well as with our ComS 222 SacCT discussion. Time is needed to ensure the lists are sufficiently active and for you to experience their nature and quality. Also, you will encounter technical problems that will take time to solve—all part of the mediated instructional context.
Here are three possible sources to get you started--
"Harnessing technology to make
Feel free to take one of these courses (or look through the catalog for another you'd like to try)
Comm 101 Public Speaking
Psych 406 Gender
This resource can be quite interesting, but timing of course offerings may or may not be compatible with our schedule; nevertheless, I suggest you check out:
I suggest you explore the categories of Education or Humanities, but you are free to look in other categories that may interest you. In Humanities, I recommend,
Education, I suggest,
For a list of lists with subscription links try http://www.edwebproject.org/lists.html
Read the directions for subscribing at the top and try some out. Keep a record of your sign-ups and keep the response you get from any successful subscription so you know how to unsubscribe if and when you need to do so.
While lists are still used, blogs seem to be replacing them. Here's one that you may want to read and comment on: http://tlt-swg.blogspot.com/
The TLT (Teaching/Learning with Technology) Group sponsors this one.
· What are the affordances of the electronic media as a channel for communication designed to instruct?
· What are the weaknesses or limitations of electronic channels in communicating with students? What are the strengths of these channels in facilitating learning?
· What knowledge do we already possess (i.e. what theory do we have) that can guide our best use of this medium?
· What do we need to learn in order to make best use of these media?
These questions are intended only to provide starting points; if you wish to use one or all of them, you may. If you wish, ignore them and pose other questions you feel are more important or interesting.
Use the APA stylebook to format this paper. (If you don't have a style book, use the on-line versions listed in the syllabus.)
· The essay presents a coherent conceptual approach with introduction, body and conclusion.
· The essay treats all three areas of the assignment: exploration, explanation and speculation.
· Evidence of exploration is present in the essay in the form of examples, illustrations and narratives of your experience.
· Explanation is grounded in appropriate and sufficient communication theory to account for your experiences and those of others you include.
· Speculation is logically related to explanation; present and future have some connection; experience and theory are connected, too.
· The essay is free of spelling and grammatical errors.
· The essay is properly formatted using APA stylebook. [Model essay]
These journals are concerned about doing education online. However, note, the writers rarely treat communication theory or practices explicitly. Be careful not to apply statements from the journals to any discussion of instructional communication without first considering whether or not the content is consistent with theory we employ. For example, media tools are central to many of the discussions, but the symbolic and semantic qualities of media are almost never discussed. Advocating media use for the sake of convenience, for example, is a wrong-headed rationale for its use.
Journal of Educational Technology & Society http://www.ifets.info/
Journal of Interactive Media in
International Journal of Education and
Develoment using Information and Communication Technology