International Research Scholars


California State University, Sacramento (Sacramento State) welcomes inquiries from International Research Scholars (“Exchange Visitors” in the State Department terminology) who want to conduct research at Sacramento State.

If you are an international scholar interested in becoming an Exchange Visitor at Sacramento State, you should contact the appropriate academic department to start the application process. The department will complete form EV1 and ask you to complete form EV2 (and EV3 if dependents will be accompanying you). Once IPGE receives these forms and supporting documents from the hosting department we will issue an invitation letter and form DS-2019 (“Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status”) that will allow you to apply for a visa at the US Consulate in your home country.

There are different categories of Exchange Visitors depending on the reason for their visit. The different categories are described in our document “Procedures for Hosting International Research Scholars Through the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program.”

We will need the following supporting documents to accompany Forms EV2 and EV3:

  1. An official letter of support for the exchange visitor from his/her host institution
  2. Your Curriculum Vitae
  3. Photocopy of diploma or academic degree certificate
  4. An official copy of the final transcript to accompany the degree certificate
  5. Photocopy of photo/bio page of your passport
  6. Photocopy of photo/bio page for spouse or children who will accompany you
  7. Evidence of funding to support your visit. The documentation must meet the minimum requirements (see Part V of form EV2)
  8. Evidence of English proficiency

If you have any questions, please contact the Center for International Programs and Global Engagement at