The Help Desk and Classroom/Lab Services: What do they have in common?
The blending of Classroom & Lab Services and the Help Desk within the new Information Resources and Technology division has been a success!
In August of 2007, the previous University Media Services converted into a larger Classroom & Lab Services unit and co-located with the Help Desk in ARC Room 2005. The purpose of this co-location was to create a one-stop-shop for faculty and student technology support requests, while at the same time expanding hours and allowing for the addition of support staff through sharing between the previously separated units. As with any such reorganization, the school year last fall began with lots of challenges and excitement for the combined organization. Despite the excitement, the co-location was well accepted by the campus and proved successful in improving our level of service.
The benefits of the combination of the two support groups have been many, including the service enhancements below:
- Teams are in place to do regular preventive maintenance in smart classrooms, as well as to respond quickly to faculty service requests in classrooms
- Several new ‘smarter’ classrooms have been created for faculty use, including Sequoia 301 and 316 and Benicia Hall
- Computer lab hours for students have been expanded, including 24 hour operation in ARC 2004
- A new student open access lab, affiliated with the new Student Technology Center, has opened in ARC 3008
- Over 300 computer lab workstations were updated across campus
- Over 140 laptops have been made available for loan to students through the Help Desk, Library, and University Union
- The hours of the Help Desk have been expanded
A remodel of the Help Desk and Classroom/Lab support areas is in progress to provide a more “user friendly” atmosphere where all clients are welcome and may relax as staff handle their requests. The Helpdesk has therefore temporarily moved to ARC 2006 next-door. It’s a very short walk to our temporary areas, so don’t be a stranger! The remodel has a tentative completion date of October 31, 2008 (give or take a few ghosts and glitches in the process). With the changes have come a few relocations. Classroom and Lab Services staff are now located in offices in the lower level of the ARC building, Room 1006. The Desktop Services unit is now located in Library II, Lower Level, LIB 12, led by manager Andy Schloss.
Our staff and students are enthusiastic and eager to resolve your problems, whether it be a problem with classroom technology, a broken lab printer, a new SacLink account, the Laptop Loan program, or help with software. We will make every effort to get you back on track!
DID YOU KNOW? The helpdesk had 16,000 walk-in clients last year!
Do you have feedback for IRT? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org