Student Employment > Administration Office Student Assistant
IRT Administration Office Student Assistant
Position:: Student Assistant Level I
Starting Salary: $10.00
Hours: 5 to 20 hours per week*
To Apply: Application
Primary duties entail serving as Student Assistant Employee Campus Operator under the supervision of staff. Under direct supervision, Campus Operator provides service to those calling the main campus phone number, including staff, students, potential students, parents, faculty, vendors, and campus visitors. Secondary duties entail providing assistance to IRT staff, under direct supervision in the provision of IRT administrative services, including front desk reception, clerical duties, and other administrative tasks. This front desk student assistant employee assists staff in providing services to various clients needing IRT services, including IRT and campus administration, staff, students, faculty, vendors, and campus visitors. Duties are performed under direct supervision from assigned staff and are performed under direct supervision of staff. Assignments have limited use of discretion and judgment. Work is regularly reviewed and may entail detailed instructions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Answer all incoming calls to the campus operator; direct the calls to the appropriate departments and personnel.
- Give information about enrollment, classes, special events, tuition and directions to campus.
- Constantly keep call-center environment and equipment clean and orderly.
- Perform various clerical duties.
- Assist staff with IRT Administrative Office duties (see other duties below).
- Receptionist duties – Answer incoming calls for up to three extensions. Assist the caller and/or route them to the appropriate IRT staff member for further assistance. Greet and assist office visitors; take telephone messages when necessary and deliver the messages within a timely manner to the appropriate staff member.
- Microsoft Office Suite – Use Microsoft Office suite to prepare file labels, prepare and update documents, etc. Prepare various spreadsheets (Excel) and complete data entry tasks.
- Run reports – Run and print Cognos reports and download to Excel.
- Filing – File administrative and confidential documents.
- Photocopying – Photocopy an array of documents.
- Sort and deliver mail – Receive, sort and deliver IRT mail, including shipments of small boxes received from FedEx, UPS, and Campus Receiving Department. Immediately contact the appropriate staff member (via e-mail or telephone) to alert them of the shipment.
- Assist staff with Payroll – Verify the receipt of student assistant timesheets as assigned. Send emails to students, student supervisors, and staff members regarding the availability of timesheets, paychecks, etc. under direction supervision.
- Schedule conference rooms – Check availability of conference rooms, and schedule meetings for IRT staff members.
- Miscellaneous duties – Deliver and pick up various documents to other campus offices; deliver checks to the cashier’s office to be receipted; contact vendors to obtain invoices or other pertinent information; obtain requisition and/or purchase order information using CMS system; complete Key Requests and Parking Permit Requests for IRT staff members; assist staff with IRT events (order supplies, setup, clean up); maintain cleanliness of kitchen area.
- Internet search engines – Use various internet search engines to conduct various research searches for IRT administrators. Review IRT web pages and other campus web pages for broken links. Proof IRT web pages for spelling errors. Research IT grants possibilities/deadlines/details. Report findings to supervisor. Proof online Campus Directory, and enter updated Campus Directory information into database. Other research as required.
- The incumbent must assure the privacy and security of confidential documents and material handled and/or delivered
- Have the ability to lift a minimum of 20 lbs
- Type approximately 30 wpm
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to use and familiar with various office equipment (copier, fax, shredder, label maker, etc.).
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong telephone skills
- Basic knowledge of the campus and campus services
- Dependability and punctuality
- Ability to use Web browsers on Microsoft Windows computers to find campus information and telephone numbers
- Experience using windows operating system and software such as MS word, MS excel, Internet Explorer or Firefox
- Knowledge of MySacState and SacCT
- Previous clerical experience
- Admission or registration as a CSU student.
- As a Bridge Student Assistant, the student need not be registered as a student, but must have been registered as a CSU student the previous term and intends to register for the following term.
* Student assistants are eligible but not guaranteed to work up to 40 hours per week when the school is not in session.