I attended Orientation, I saw an advisor last semester,  my degree plan is not changing, and/or I am graduating this/next semester, do I still have to come in for in-person advising?
Yes, every student must see an advisor at least once a semester


How early can I come in for advising?
Students are encouraged to come in for advising as soon as the semester begins! Our office puts registrations holds on all students that have not come in for advising after the fourth week of instruction


I have a registration hold on my account and I want to register for classes next semester, but the appointment binder is booked. What should I do?
Find the next available slot in the appointment binder with an advisor. You can try calling the office, (916) 278-6342, to check if there have been any cancellations or put a note on the appointment page in the binder specifiying to call you if there are any cancellations for the day you are available. We will try our best to contact you as soon as we know about a cancellation. We cannot lift your registration hold unless you meet with an advisor


I would like to change my major to Liberal Studies, what do I do?
Come to the office, Lassen Hall 2008, and make an appointment to see an advisor. Bring the Change of Major form with you to your advising appointment. The advisor will talk to you about the program and classes you will need to take, and from the advisor will sign off on the form. Once the advisor and the Liberal Studies Chair signs off on the form, you have to bring the Change of Major form to the Registrar's Office, Lassen Hall 2000, for final processing. To print the Change of Major form, you can find it here


I don't want to be a Liberal Studies major anymore and there is a registration hold on my account, what is the process of getting the hold removed?
The Change of Major form has to be signed off by your new major advisor and department chair and turned into the Registrar's Office. You can either come into our office, Lassen 2008, to show us that the form has been signed or email a scan of the signed Change of Major form our Department Coordinator, kimberly.liaz@csus.edu, and Liberal Studies student assistant, libssis-office@csus.edu.
If you want to change to Undeclared, a Deletion of Major, must be completed. Ultimately, both the Change of Major or Deletion of Major must be turned into the Registrar's Office for final processing. Once you have showed our office in person or via email, we will check your account, and remove the hold. Change of Major and Deletion of Major forms can be found here


I'm running late to my advising appointment, can my advisor still meet with me?
Department appointment policy: Students can be late up to 10 minutes before their appointment is cancelled


I need to cancel my appointment, can I cancel over the phone and reschedule?
Yes, we ask all students to call and cancel at least 24 hours or as soon as possible if they cannot make their appointment so another student can take the appointment slot
I passed the IAD (Intermediate Algebra Diagnostic) and I am in MATH 107A this semester, do I still have to take the ALEKS PPL (Placement, Preparation and Learning) and show my IAD score to my math instructor?
No, you do not have to take ALEKS PPL if you already passed the IAD. However, you may need to show your math instructor your IAD score. ALEKS PPL is the new assessment that incoming Fall 2017 first year and transfer students need to take


I accidentally lost my IAD (Intermediate Alegebra Diagnostic) score that was printed and given to me, what do I do?
Contact the Mathematics & Statistics Department and ask if they could reprint your score, their contact number is (916) 278-6534 and they are located in Brighton Hall 141. The Liberal Studies & Social Science Programs Office does not get or keep IAD scores


Can I call to schedule a meeting with an advisor over the phone?
No, if you are a current Sacramento State student, you must come in the office to schedule the appointment


I need my Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) form signed, can any advisor in Liberal Studies sign it?
Yes, come in the office to make an appointment. If you have questions about the SAP Policy, you can find more information here


I have questions about the Teaching Credentials Program at Sacramento State, who should I contact?
You can visit the Teaching Credentials office in Eureka Hall 401 or you can call them at (916) 278-6639. You can find there website here


I have taken the Writing Placement for Juniors (WPJ) Exam, received a score, but I'm not sure what the scores mean and which English class to take. What English class am I supposed to take?
If you score 60/50, you have to take ENGL 109W or ENGL 109M and then pass a Writing Intensive (WI) course with a C- or higher, and this will complete the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR) for your bachelor's degree
If you score 70, you have to take and pass a Writing Intensive (WI) course with a C- or higher and concurrently take 109X, and this will complete the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR) for your bachelor's degree
If you score 80, you can take a Writing Intensive (WI) course and have to pass with a C- or higher to complete the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR) for Sacramento State for your bachelor's degree
If you score 90, placement was fulfilled by another CSU campus. You must pass a Writing Intensive (WI) course with a C- or higher to complete the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR) for your bachelor's degree


I am enrolled in Geol 8, but I could not get into the Geol 8T lab. Do I have to take it in the same semester?
No, you can take Gelo 8T the semester after Geol 8, but you cannot take 8T before 8


I took 3 years of a language course in high school, but it has been years since I have practiced or been in that class. Will that be a problem?
No, students at Sacramento State need 3 years of the same language (either taken high school and/or community college) to meet graduation requirements. It does not matter how recent those courses were taken


I would like to meet with an advisor during the summer or winter intersession, can I schedule an appointment?
Yes, during the summer our Lead Advisor, Kristen Anderegg, can help our students. Email her and she will schedule time to meet with you, her email is kristena@csus.edu. If you are not available to come in for in person advising during the summer or winter intersession, and are not a current student at Sacramento State, email her your situation along with unofficial transcripts from all of the community colleges and universities you have attended and she can advise you over email


Besides teaching, what can I do with a Liberal Studies degree?
The major is excellent preparation for careers in public service, management, counseling, law, librarianship. medicine, and professional or graduate education in business


Do I have to complete General Education requirements in addition to the Liberal Studies tradtional and non-traditional major requirements?
No, Sacramento State's General Education requirements are incorporated into the Liberal Studies traditional and non-traditional programs. Separate graduation requirements include the Writing Intensive (WI) course and foreign language requirement


Is there a blended program, where I can get my Bachelor's degree and teaching credential in a certain amount of years, at SacState?
No, not at this time


Do I have to major in Liberal Studies to become an elementary and/or special education teacher?
No, a student must have a bachelor's degree (any major) and must also demonstrate subject matter competency in multiple subjects by taking the multiple subject CA Subject Examination for Teachers (CSET). Then, the student applies to a CA multiple subject or speical education credential program. Once the student has completed the CA mulitple subject or special education credential program, the student is now authorized to teach elementary to special education.
What's the difference between a minor and concentration?
A concentration is a mini minor, a cluster of course within a subject matter. To complete a minor, a student must complete 9-15 units (depending on the concentration). A minor focuses on a specific discipline but in more depth, in oreder for the minor to be shown on the transcript 18-21 units (depending on the minor) must be completed. A concentration is not notated on transcript.


What concentrations can I choose from in the traditional Liberal Studies program? Can I do a minor instead?
Students can choose from 14 different concentrations. A concentration is a 12 unit area of focus in which the student will develop knowledge in a discipline of special interest. Concentrations are linguistics and composition, literature, mathematics, natural science, world history, US history, American studies, California studies, multicultural studies, art, theatre, music, physical education, and human development. Students can choose to minor instead of a concentration, however a minor is a pattern of courses similar to the major, but less comprehensive. Units for the minor varies, but most minors require 18 - 21 units. A minor is posted on the official transcript, not on the diploma.


Is there a Liberal Studies club/student organization?
Yes, the organization is called Sacramento State Student California Teachers Association (SCTA). Students are encouraged to join and get involved with various clubs and organizations