Apply to be a McNair Scholar
To be eligible to participate in the California State University, Sacramento McNair Scholars Program, students must meet the following requirements:
- Be a first generation college student AND meet federal low-income guidelines; OR be a member of a group traditionally underrepresented in graduate education (African American, Hispanic/Latino, Pacific Islander, or American Indian/Alaskan Native). A first generation college student is someone whose parent(s) or guardian(s) did not earn a baccalaureate degree.
- Completion of 60 units prior to summer research program.
- Enrolled at California State University, Sacramento on a full-time basis (minimum 12 units).
- A demonstrated commitment and desire to seek a Ph.D. in an academic discipline and/or a career in university teaching.
- Must have a minimum 2.8 GPA and must be making satisfactory progress toward a baccalaureate degree.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Must be willing to commit to program requirements. There is approximately a two-year commitment required for the program and a 10 year tracking requirement.
Benefits of the Program
- Opportunity to work with a faculty mentor;
- $2,800 stipend for summer research;
- Research training and scholarly experiences, including free attendance and participation in national conferences;
- Counseling through the graduate school graduate admission process;
- Application fee waivers from participating graduate schools;
- GRE preparation;
- Publication of your research in the McNair Scholars Journal;
- Cultural Events;
- $300 allocation to travel to the Graduate School of your choice;
- Strengthening of academic and research skills.
- Attend all mandatory research workshops
- Complete a research methodology course
- Maintian communication between the McNair Program staff members and faculty mentors to assess personal and academic needs
- Maintain academic progress
- Prepare for the summer research project
- Participate in statewide and national conferences to present your research findings
How to Apply
- Fill out PDF application form or online form completely.
- Obtain 3 letters of recommendation attesting to potential for study at the graduate level.
- Write a statement of purpose.
- Secure grade transcripts from all institutions attended.
The California State University, Sacramento McNair Scholars Program is located in the Riverfront Center, room 203.
The McNair Scholars office is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
To find out more information about the McNair Scholars Program:
Phone number: (916) 278-5118
Fax number: (916) 278-3305
This program has been partially funded by a U.S. Department of Education Grant and in-kind contribution from California State University, Sacramento.