String Day - Saturday, October 22, 2011
9:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (Specific Times to be assigned for each ensemble)
1st Prize ‐ $1000 • 2nd Prize ‐ $500• (pdf format) (Application deadline is September 25)
California State University, Sacramento invites you to participate in our 2011 CHAMBER MUSIC COMPETITION and CELEBRATION, an exciting opportunity for string players to develop chamber music skills while performing and participating in a competition. After performing in the Sacramento State Music Recital Hall, each competing ensemble will meet with coaching members of the Sun Quartet – Ian Swensen, Anna Presler, Anna Kruger and Andrew Luchansky. String players who are not members of an ensemble may be eligible to participate in Master Classes and workshops with noted teachers, Tom Tatton and Judy Bossuat. The day concludes with a 3:00pm concert featuring the contest winners and a performance by the Sun Quartet (suggested donation $10 for concert).
CHAMBER MUSIC COMPETITION APPLICANTS:
• Fee for ensemble is $90.
• All members of ensemble must be students in 6th-12th grade.
• Ensembles of 3 or more players, without a conductor, are eligible to enter the competition. (Each ensemble must include at least one string player.)
• Ensembles must be chaperoned by a responsible adult- parent, coach or teacher.
• Each ensemble should perform a complete movement or complete work from the chamber music repertoire. Works from the Baroque, classical, romantic, modern or contemporary eras are appropriate. Jazz and pop selections are not eligible.
• Total performance must not exceed 16 minutes. (Shorter selections are acceptable.)
• Each ensemble must supply two copies of the full score for the music to be performed.
• Questions regarding appropriate repertoire must be addressed in advance by the committee. INDIVIDUAL APPLICANTS
• Fee for individual applicants is $50.
• Students in 6th-12th grades are eligible to participate in Master Classes.
• A student chosen to play in the Master Class must bring a copy of the musical score for the teacher.
• Due to space limitations we can only accommodate a limited number of individual applicants, on space available basis. Please apply promptly.
A lunch of pizzas (Cheese, Veggie and Combo) with water and sodas will be provided at $7 per person.
Please include $7 for each person in your group, including students and adults.