March 1 , 2006
Kids programs to heat up Sac State this summer
Animation, hands-on robotics, hiking trips and white-water
rafting are just a few of the ways kids can stay busy this summer at Sacramento
Academic Talent Search allows 6th to 9th graders to expand their minds through accelerated and enrichment classes in more than 100 academic subjects like cartooning, veterinary medicine, forensic science and comedy. One-, three- and five-week courses will be offered from June 19 to Aug. 11.
Sacramento’s State Aquatic Center will bring back its full array of water sports camps for kids ages 7 to 17, which include sailing, windsurfing, canoeing, kayaking, jet skiing and white-water rafting. Optional overnight campouts will be available for all student participants.
Science Adventures summer camp returns to campus for nine weeklong sessions for kids in kindergarten through sixth grade, with exciting exploratory and hands-on learning camps in robotics, rocketry and more.
Athletic day camps for kids, teens and high schoolers, with overnight camping for some programs, will be offered in basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball and other sports.
Peak Adventures offers three camps for kids 9 to 18 years old with daylong and overnight camping options. The Green and Gold camp, for kids aged 9 to 12, lets kids explore the Sacramento State campus in activities such as outdoor river walks and compass skills. The Adventure Camp encompasses hiking, rock climbing and an overnight campout for ages 12 to 15. Teens aged 15 to 18 can learn to lead their peers in the Leadership Camp, which is a weeklong backpacking adventure.
WAVE camp is open again to 10-to 25-year olds with disabilities. It is designed to provide instructional and recreational aquatic opportunities to youth and young adults.
For more information about the specific programs offered, refer to the contact numbers listed on the following schedule. For media assistance, contact the Public Affairs Office at (916) 278-6156.
Schedule of Sacramento State youth programs
Academic Talent Search
7750 College Town Drive, Suite 101
One-, three- and five-week sessions offered throughout the summer to students in grades six through nine. Call for information on required testing and application process.
• Two one-week programs: June 19 - 23 and Aug. 7 - 11 (tentative)
• Two three-week programs: June 26 - July 14 and July 17 - Aug. 4
• One five-week program: June 26 - July 28.
Science Adventures Summer Camp
• Nine weeklong camps offered throughout the summer for kids in kindergarten through sixth grade. Starting June 19 - 23 and continuing through Aug. 14 - 18.
Recreation and sports
• Water activities for youths age 10 to 25 with disabilities. Two sessions offered, July 17 - 21 for ages 10 to 16 and July 23 - 27 for ages 17 to 25.
Sacramento State Aquatic Center at Lake Natoma
1901 Hazel Avenue
• Programs offered June 5 - Aug. 18 (excluding July 4 - 8) for kids ages 7 to 17 in sailing, windsurfing, canoeing, kayaking, water skiing, jet skiing, rowing and more.
Peak Adventures Camps
• Green and Gold Camp for ages 9 to 12
• Adventure Camp for ages 12 to 15
• Leadership Camp for ages 15 to 18
Sacramento State Athletic Camps
• Athletic day camps for kids and teens in basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball and other sports. Contact the athletic department or check their website for updates on new summer sports programs. Registration forms can be downloaded online..
California State University, Sacramento Public Affairs
6000 J Street Sacramento, CA 95819-6026 (916) 278-6156 firstname.lastname@example.org