If your child's idea of summer fun is hiking, kayaking, building a Mars Rover, or perfecting the curveball, Sacramento State has a summer program to fit his or her needs.
Sacramento State's Aquatic Center offers a full array of water sports camps for kids ages 7 to 17, including sailing, windsurfing, kayaking, canoeing, water skiing and white water rafting. Optional overnight campouts will be available for all participants.
Academic Talent Search provides over 100 academically challenging, fast-paced summer courses to sixth- to ninth- grade students in subjects as diverse as web design and the Internet, cartooning, forensic science, photography and algebra. One-, three- and five-week courses are available from June 18 to Aug. 10.
Sac State coaches and student-athletes will lead a number of athletic day camps for kids and teens. Baseball, softball, volleyball and soccer are some of the sports camps being offered on campus.
Science Adventures Summer Camp returns for nine weeklong sessions geared to kids from kindergarten to sixth grade. This year's sessions include "Go Wild," "Gizmos, Gadgets and Goop," "Space and Rocketry '07" and "Mystery of the Pharaoh's Treasure."
Peak Adventures offers three camps for kids 9 to 18 years old with daylong and overnight camping options. The Green and Gold Camp, for ages 9 to 12, lets kids explore the Sacramento State campus in activities such as outdoor river walks, swimming, and arts and crafts. The Adventure Camp encompasses hiking, rock climbing, white water rafting and an overnight campout for ages 12 to 15. Teens aged 15 to 18 can learn to lead their peers in the Expedition Camp, a weeklong backpacking adventure with white water rafting.
WAVE camp serves 10-to 25-year olds with physical disabilities. It is designed to provide instructional and recreational aquatic opportunities to youth and young adults.
For more information about the specific programs offered, refer to the contact numbers and websites listed on the following schedule.
• Two one-week programs: June 18 – 22 and Aug. 6 – 10
• Two three-week programs: June 25 – July 13 and July 16 – Aug. 3
• One five-week program: June 25 – July 27
• Nine weeklong camps offered throughout the summer for kids in kindergarten through sixth grade. Starts June 18 –22 and continues through Aug. 13 – 17.
• Water activities for youths and young adults ages 10 to 25 with disabilities. Two sessions offered, July 16 – 20 for ages 10 to 16 and July 22 -- 26 for ages 17 to 25.
Sacramento State Aquatic Center at Lake Natoma
1901 Hazel Avenue
• Programs offered June 4 – Aug. 24 (excluding July 2 – 6) for kids ages 7 to 17 in sailing, windsurfing, wake boarding, canoeing, kayaking, waterskiing, jet skiing, rowing and more.
• Green and Gold Camp for ages 9 to 12
• Adventure Camp for ages 12 to 15
• Expedition Camp for ages 15 to 18
• Athletic day camps for kids and teens in basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball and other sports. Contact the athletic department or check their website for updates on new summer sports programs. Registration forms can be downloaded online.