May 14, 2004
Club sports post impressive seasons
athletic teams for softball, volleyball, men’s basketball and women’s
tennis had seasons to brag about this year. A little further under the radar
screen, the university’s sport clubs were turning in fine performances
Unlike intercollegiate sports, sport club athletes receive no scholarship funds. About 15 percent of this year’s nearly $300,000 budget came from Associated Students, and although sponsor donations have increased in recent years, most of the remaining 85 percent came from student participants, said Ken Morton, recreational sports coordinator.
The co-ed Sacramento State Olympic weightlifting club had another great year, sending five members to the collegiate nationals and placing sixth as a team.
On an individual level, weightlifter Kathy Redcher-Bowling had an outstanding season winning bronze medals at both the American Open and at the National Championships. But her biggest accomplishment was qualifying for the Olympic Weightlifting Trials in an effort to win a trip to this summer’s Olympic Games.
The men’s rowing club placed well in the Western Intercollegiate Rowing Association championships that was hosted at the CSUS Aquatic Center. The varsity men’s 4 boat finished first in its division while the men’s pair took a silver medal. Later this year they will be one of only two non-scholarship teams to compete at both the prestigious Windermere Cup and Copley Cup Regattas.
After having been rated 15th in Division 1-AA the men’s volleyball club placed fifth at the national tournament. The club had two All-Americans: Joe Gengler and Terry Jordan-Dyer. The women’s club had two players selected for all-league honors: Lorena Reynolds and Treka Jackson.
The co-ed racquetball club closed its season by finishing fourth among 48 teams at the National Intercollegiate Racquetball Championships. The three squads that finished ahead of CSUS – Alabama, Oregon State and BYU – are all scholarship schools and the Hornets finished in front of such schools as Arizona State and UC Berkeley.
Melissa Borgwat and her partner Mark Salinas brought home the gold in mixed doubles. In singles, Salinas also took a gold in singles and Borgwat, a bronze. Brianna Russell finished with a silver medal in mixed doubles and a silver in singles.
The co-ed Water Ski Club had a strong showing by finishing fourth at the Western Regional Championships, which qualified them for the collegiate national championships were they placed eighth in the country. Individual honors went to Jamie Hansen who finished third in the trick competition and Zach Otting and Ian Albrecht in the men’s slalom where they finished third and fifth respectively.
The team also placed seven members on the Western Region all-star team: Jessica Otting, Jamie Hansen, Kara Bush, Kelly Bryan, Zach Otting, Ian Albrecht and Jason Wollman.
California State University, Sacramento Public Affairs
6000 J Street Sacramento, CA 95819-6026 (916) 278-6156 email@example.com