October 6, 2004
Employee workshops focus on money matters
The Human Resources’ Benefits
Office has scheduled a number of financial workshops in the coming month. They
- Oct. 5, 9 to 11:30 a.m., University Union Forest Suite
– “Achieving Financial Security” presented by CalPERS and
American General Financial. This is for individuals retiring in 10 years or
more. Topics will include cash-flow management, credit scores, risk management,
investment strategies, retirement planning, estate planning, and online tools
available to CalPERS members.
- Oct. 7, 9 to 11:30 a.m., University Union Forest Suite
– “CalPERS General Overview” is for new employees eligible
for the CalPERS retirement program. Attendees will learn about benefits using
an interactive worksheet to calculate retirement estimates. Other topics include
membership in CalPERS, ways to increase your pension, service credit, post-retirement
benefits, and online tools and resources. Attendees should bring a calculator.
- Oct. 12, 9 to 11:30 a.m., University Union Delta Suite
– “Understanding Social Security” will cover a variety of
common questions about Social Security, including how benefits relate to PERS
or STRS retirement programs. A Social Security public affairs representative
will make a presentation, with information on benefit programs, the future
of Social Security and more.
- Oct. 14, 9 to 11:30 a.m., University Union Forest Suite
– “The Savings Plus Program” will provide an overview of
the Deferred Compensation Plan (457) and the Thrift Plan (401k). Topics will
include federal and state contribution limits, catch-up features, buyback
of CalPERS service credit options and more.
- Oct. 19, 9 to 11:30 a.m., University Union Delta Suite
– “CalPERS Retirement Planning” will cover how retirement
benefits are calculated, what to consider about retirement dates, taxes and
retirement benefits, CalPERS health benefits and more. There will also be
information about Sacramento State retirement procedures.
- Nov. 1, 9 to 11:30 a.m., location to be determined –
“CalPERS Managed Medicare and Supplement to Medicare Benefits”
will cover various issues related to CalPERS benefits as they relate to Medicare,
including out-of-country programs, emergencies, and recent federal legislation.
For more information, contact the Benefits Office at 278-6213.
California State University, Sacramento Public Affairs
6000 J Street Sacramento, CA 95819-6026 (916) 278-6156