Sacramento State’s Green & Gold Gala, the University’s signature black-tie fundraising event, raised more than $373,000 on Friday, March 24. An 11-minute paddle auction for student scholarships and programs, namely the Green and Gold Scholarship and Student Emergency Grant Fund, netted $162,000. An additional $211,000 was secured through sponsorships.
“Sac State is all about the students,” President Robert S. Nelsen told the audience. “The scholarship funds we raise tonight will make a tremendous difference in their lives.”
The Green and Gold Scholarship was created to assist undergraduate students of any major who have demonstrated enthusiasm and determination to obtain a degree despite personal, financial, or other hardships.
The Student Emergency Grant Fund assists students who experience a financial emergency that could jeopardize their studies at Sacramento State, such as a significant loss due to fire or natural disaster, sudden unemployment, unexpected eviction, or homelessness.
The gala program featured students who have benefited from philanthropic support:
- Yanni Bullock, a biology major who is a member of the McNair Scholars Program
- Olga Dubenchuk, a social sciences major who is a Green and Gold Scholarship recipient
- Margarita Kovalchuk, a civil engineering major who is a President’s Ambassador
- Abraham Mendoza, a social work major and Associated Students Inc. vice president of Academic Affairs. He is a Student Emergency Grant Fund recipient
- Paha Xiong, a psychology major who is a Full Circle Project student
“What I like most about Sac State’s Green & Gold Gala is that it supports our students. The University cares about its students and their performance, and provides the help they need,” said The University Foundation at Sacramento State board member Sonney Chong, DMD.
The event’s theme, Reflections of Gratitude, was inspired by the artwork of alumnus and world-renowned artist Gregory Kondos ’51, MA ’57 (Art), who received a standing ovation.
Sponsors of the 2017 Green & Gold Gala included:
- University Enterprises Inc. at the Redefine the Possible Level
- Chevron, Speeding Edge, and Western Health Advantage at the Gold Level
- Capital Public Radio, Clark Pacific, Comstock’s magazine, Crowe Horwath LLP, Placer Ranch Inc., Sacramento State Administration and Business Affairs, SMUD, and The Sacramento Bee at the Bronze Level
For a complete list of sponsors, visit csus.edu/gala/sponsors.html.
Visit csus.edu/gala for photos and more information.