Posted: May 22, 2000
A mother of seven, a student taking on a challenging disability, a state senator and state and national officials are among the speakers on tap at California State University, Sacramento commencement ceremonies this weekend at Arco Arena.
Each of the University's seven Colleges will host a separate ceremony for its graduates. Accounting graduate and mother of three boys and four girls Allison Hamaker will speak at the College of Business Administration commencement at noon, Saturday, May 27. Communication studies graduate Daniel Hansen will realize his dream of graduating from college, in spite of a struggle with muscular dystrophy that put him on permanent life support, when he speaks at the College of Arts Letters commencement at 4 p.m., Saturday, May 27.
State Sen. Patrick Johnson, chairman of the Senate Appropriations Committee, will speak at the College of Social Sciences and Interdisciplinary Studies commencement at 5 p.m., Friday, May 26. And A. Lee Fritschler, assistant secretary for postsecondary education for the U.S. Department of Education will speak to the College of Health and Human Services at 8 a.m., Saturday, May 27.
The complete CSUS commencement schedule is:
Friday, May 26
· College of Education, 1 p.m. Speaker: Nancy Cecil, the College's 1999-2000 Outstanding Teacher.
· College of Social Sciences and Interdisciplinary Studies, 5 p.m. Speaker: Sen. Patrick Johnson (D-Stockton.)
· College of Engineering and Computer Science, 8 p.m. Speaker: Lanse Leach, executive vice president of technology, Output Technology Solutions.
Saturday, May 27
· College of Health and Human Services, 8 a.m. Speaker: A. Lee Fritschler, U.S. Department of Education.
· College of Business Administration, noon. Speakers: College of Business Administration alumnus of the year and businessman Dennis Gardemeyer and student Allison Hamaker.
· College of Arts and Letters, 4 p.m. Speaker: Student Daniel L. Hansen.
· College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, 7:30 p.m. Speaker: Elizabeth Ebrahimzadeh, the College's 1999-2000 Outstanding Teacher.
More information is available at www.csus.edu/commence or (916) 278-4724. Media information is available at (916) 278-6156.
For further information send E-Mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
INDEX OF STORIES
Return to CSUS Home Page