International Programs and Global Engagement


Academic degree requirements fall into three categories: (1) Major requirements, (2) General Education requirements, (3) all other university requirements such as Writing Proficiency and State Code requirements (History and Government). Policies concerning catalog rights can be found in the Sacramento State Catalog.


Undergraduate Students

Transfer credits are granted from recognized overseas and US institutions. During your first semester at Sacramento State, the Coordinator of International Admissions will prepare a document specifying your transferable academic credits. If you wish to apply specific courses completed at an overseas or US institution toward your major requirements, you should contact the Coordinator of International Admissions for advice; and file a petition through the Department office.

Graduate Students
Generally no more than 6 units may be transferred towards a Sacramento State Master's degree. Please consult with the Graduate Coordinator in your department to obtain more information concerning department specific policies regarding transferring units.


It is important that all students complete their academic work without unauthorized assistance Cheating on exams, copying another student's assignments, or reprinting published or unpublished work will result in severe disciplinary action including possible dismissal from the university. Students who are uncertain of the definition of plagiarism or cheating should consult their academic advisor or a member of the OGE staff.


As you will notice in your Class Schedule, most classes offered at Sacramento State meet for a total of 150 minutes per week and are assigned an academic value of three units. Some classes meet just once a week (usually in the evenings) for 150 minutes while others meet Tuesdays and Thursdays (seventy-five minutes for each class meeting) or Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays (fifty minutes each class meeting). Classes valued at more than three units require a greater investment of time (the class may have a laboratory, research or problem solving component).

Most professors, during the first class session, will outline their course requirements, grading system, and expected classroom behavior. They will also announce the hours during which they will be available for private consultation called "office hours" If you have any difficulties understanding classroom requirements or course content, or simply have a question regarding material which you have been studying, you are encouraged to visit your professor during office hours.

Many professors will give two examinations: a midterm and a final. They may also require students to write a research paper and/or to turn in homework assignments for grades. Professors will usually explain in detail what kind of tests will be given (essay, true / false, multiple choice, etc.) and how they will be graded. They will also outline acceptable research paper topics, specified formats, length, and deadlines. Once again, if you do not completely understand the course requirements, please contact your professor or speak to an advisor in the OGE.

Credit System
Each course offered by the university is assigned a certain number of academic credits. The accumulation of these credits (also referred to as units) over a period of time will determine, in part, whether you have met university graduation requirements for your major.

Grading System
Lower division, upper division and graduate courses are graded A, B, C, D, F or WU. Each faculty member has the option of assigning a plus or minus after each student's grades (i.e., B+ or B-). These pluses or minuses will affect your overall grade point average. Please consult your Sacramento State Catalog for details. Certain courses including field work, internships, workshops, theses, and supervised teaching are graded Credit (CR) or No Credit (NC). The Credit (CR) grade will equate to A, B, or C level competence for undergraduate courses and A or B level competence for graduate courses.

A student"s academic status is determined by grade point average and NC grades earned. Grade point average is computed by dividing the total number of grade points earned by the number of units attempted, except that units graded CR or NC are not included. A student earning NC grades is not making satisfactory progress and thus is subject to academic warning, probation or disqualification.


A - Exemplary achievement of the course objectives. In addition to being clearly and significantly above the requirements, the work exhibited is of an independent, creative, contributory nature (four points per unit, 4.0).

B - Superior achievement of the course objectives. The performance is clearly and significantly above the satisfactory fulfillment of course requirements (three points per unit, 3.0).

C - Satisfactory achievement of the course objectives. The student is now prepared for advanced work or study (two points per unit, 2.0). Note: The letter grade C does not imply satisfactory achievement at the graduate level.

D - Unsatisfactory achievement toward the course objectives, yet achievement of a sufficient proportion of the objectives so that it is not necessary to repeat the course-unless required by the academic department (one point per unit, 1.0).

F - Unsatisfactory achievement of the course objectives, to an extent that the student must repeat the course to receive credit (zero points per unit, 0.0).

WU - Unauthorized withdrawal indicates that an enrolled student did not withdraw from the courses and also failed to complete course requirements. It is used when, in the opinion of the instructor, completed assignments and/or course activities were insufficient to make normal evaluation of academic performance possible. For purposes of grade point average, this symbol is equivalent to an "F" (zero points per unit, 0.0).

CR - Satisfactory achievement of course objectives (not used in GPA calculation).

NC - Unsatisfactory achievement of course objectives (not used in GPA calculation but calculated as an F by many graduate and professional schools).

I - Incomplete, a portion of the requirements usually completed during one term remains to be completed and evaluated (not used in GPA calculation).

RP - Report in Progress. Work is in progress on thesis, project or similar course work extending beyond one term (not used in GPA calculation).

W - Withdrawal or drop indicates that the student was permitted to withdraw from the course after the fourth week of instruction with the approval of the instructor and appropriate campus officials. It carries no connotation of quality of student performance (not used in GPA calculation).

RD - Report delayed because a grade has not been reported to the registrar due to circumstances beyond control of student (not used in GPA calculation)

AU - Audit grade indicates studen"s status as Auditor and does not earn degree credit.

Students must report errors shown on the grade report form to the Office of Admissions and Records within three months after the semester ends. For information concerning incomplete grades, minimum scholarship standards, disciplinary actions, (graduate and undergraduate) reinstatement and readmission, repeating classes, withdrawal from the university, and many other procedural matters, please consult your Sacramento State Catalog.

back to top