International Programs and Global Engagement

England - Middlesex University

Middlesex University flyer

Middlesex University, with about 22,000 students, is one of the largest of the United Kingdom's institutions of higher education. It's two campuses are Archway and Hendon. Based in north London, the campuses are within 40 minutes travel time of central London, giving students easy access to the capital's rich store of academic, cultural, artistic, and social facilities.

The main campus is the Hendon campus, considered by Middlesex to be its flagship campus. It is the university's largest campus and home to the majority of the university's fields of study and students. Hendon has been transformed in recent years by a massive redevelopment plan. Some of the newer buildings include the Sheppard Library, a state of the art Learning Resource Center; the Hatchcroft Building, a teaching and research building comprising specialist laboratories for psychology, biomedical and computing sciences; and the Student Centre, featuring places to eat, bars and social spaces. The newest building is the Grove (Art, Design, and Media building) for those students in the art, design, and media fields. Additional facilities include comprehensive computing and media facilities, services to students with disabilities, halls of residence, sports and leisure facilities, and a Center for International Education which houses the support team for international students. There is a vast range of sports clubs and societies and many social events.

The Archway campus offers courses and placements for students in the fields of midwifery and nursing. These fields are not open to our students through the exchange.


Students choosing to study at Middlesex University will study for an academic year and have access to the same courses offered to the British students (courses from across the university's wide curriculum) with some exceptions. Courses that are impacted at Middlesex University and usually those that involve practice hours outside of the classroom would not be available to students studying on this program Students applying to take courses within the fields of art and design, film, and television will need to submit a portfolio, which must be submitted at time of application as a web address to a site where the work can be assessed. Participants are encouraged to choose courses within one degree program or field of study to provide a coherent program and avoid the risk of timetable clashes. It is good to check with the office of International Programs and Global Engagement to ensure that the field and courses you are hoping to take are available to students on this program.

Fields usually available to our students include:

Art and Design
Animation, Fashion Design and Textiles, Illustration and Graphic Design, Interior Design, Photography, Product Design

Accounting and Finance, Business and Management, Economics, Human Resource Management, Marketing, Tourism and Hospitality Management

Computer Science, Engineering and Math
Computer and Communications Engineering, Computer Science and Informatics, Design Engineering, Engineering Project Management, Mathematics

Early Childhood Studies

Film, Media, and English
Advertising, Public Relations, and Media; Creative Writing; English Language (Linguistics); Journalism; Media and Cultural Studies; Publishing and Media

Natural Sciences
Biology and Biomedical Sciences, Occupational and Public Health

Performing Arts
Theatre Arts (Students proposing to take these courses must have a major in Theatre Arts and must take a full load of courses in Theatre Arts only.)


Social Sciences and Law
Criminology and Policing, Law, Sociology, Youth Justice

Sport and Exercise Science
To find specific course information, access the Middlesex University website at Select "Courses" and scroll down to fields of study. Within the appropriate field of study, select "course content" for specific courses and descriptions.

Graduate students should be aware that they may not be allowed by Middlesex University to take a full load of taught graduate level courses. Graduate level students, however, are allowed to take undergraduate courses and can discuss this option with the graduate coordinator in their academic department. The academic department at this university may or may not give graduate level credit for a third-year undergraduate course at Middlesex. Please check with International Programs and Global Engagement to determine availability of graduate level courses in a specific field.


All participants are required to be full-time while studying in England and, thus, take the equivalent of 15 units during each semester for undergraduates and 12 units per semester for graduates.

Applicants should have upper division standing with a declared major at this university by the end of the semester prior to departure or have classified graduate standing at the time of the application deadline, good academic records, and a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or better at the time of application. In most cases, the lower division course requirements of the appropriate field of study must have been completed by the end of the semester prior to departure. All applicants should check to ensure that they are on track for meeting the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR). The applicant also should be prepared to accept the challenge of study in a country with an educational system different from our own.


Modules (courses) at Middlesex University are taught on an academic year-long basis. The academic year begins in late September and ends toward the end of May. The university is closed for two to three weeks each at Christmas and Easter. The “Welcome to Middlesex Orientation Programme” is usually held around the third week of September.


Students accepted to the program will pay the usual California State University, Sacramento fees, remain eligible for financial aid (except work/study), if otherwise qualified, and receive resident credit just as if they were attending classes at this university. (Please note that equivalency of courses falls under the jurisdiction of the academic department.) Middlesex has agreed to waive non-resident tuition, making this a particularly attractive opportunity for participants. Students will pay for their travel to and from London, room and board, books, and incidentals. In addition, each student must have the required insurance during his or her stay in England.

Expenses for the academic year in London are estimated at the following: usual undergraduate fees - $3,324 per semester (graduates would pay the graduate fee), airfare - $1,240, insurance - $476, room and board - $10,000, incidentals (including books, local transportation, clothing, entertainment) - $5,400. Total $23,764. This estimate is given for planning purposes only and is subject to changes from currency fluctuation, inflation, and fee changes. Keep in mind that students are responsible for obtaining their own passports and student visas. The costs to obtain these are not included in this estimate.


Campus financial aid, with the exception of federal work study, is applicable abroad. Whether or not you have ever received financial aid, you should investigate this possibility by contacting Joy Fisher (study abroad contact) at the Student Service Counter located on the first floor of Lassen Hall. Students also are encouraged to investigate and apply for scholarships for their study or research abroad. A listing of specific scholarships and scholarship resource information, with websites, is available on the International Programs and Global Engagement website at


Locating housing is the individual student's responsibility although the Middlesex Accommodation Services will give assistance in this area. Middlesex University offers self-catering accommodation in four halls of residence in North London. This is a popular option and spaces are limited. In addition, there are private halls of residence, which are independently-managed halls available across London. These vary in size and style from luxurious en-suite studios to simple dormitory-style hostels.

Students in the study abroad program usually will be offered a room in the university’s halls of residence providing they meet the housing application deadline.

For the student who prefers private accommodation in London, the Accommodation Services also can assist in finding private rented accommodation. These can include flats, houses or lodgings with a live-in landlord. These options are usually located away from the university’s main halls of residence. Accommodation Services suggests students begin the search as early as possible since competition for accommodation can be strong towards the beginning of the term. The staff can offer guidance on general housing issues and tenancy agreements. Middlesex “studentpad” is a search engine featuring up-to-date details of rented accommodation and can be accessed from the Middlesex Accommodation Services at Local newspapers are another resource for locating rented accommodation.


The application deadline is March 1. Applications will be accepted for one academic year only and can be obtained from the Office of International Programs and Global Engagement in Lassen 2304, tel. (916) 278-6686. Students applying to take courses within art and design, film, and television must submit a portfolio with their study abroad application.

back to top