First Year Orientation
"Sac State is full of so many resources. If you have a problem with anything, there is someone here who can help you."
-Amanda Proschold, Sophomore
ELM and EPT Exams
The Elementary Level Math (ELM) and English Placement Test (EPT) tests determine what English and Math classes students will be required to take at Sac State. These tests MUST be fulfilled prior to Student Orientation and should be completed NO LATER than May 6th. Students may be exempt from the ELM and/or EPT by the following:
- SAT I Critical Reading score of 500+
- SAT II score of 680+
- ACT English score of 22+
- AP Language and Composition score of 3+
- AP Literature and Composition score of 3+
- Completion and transfer of a college level course that satisfies the English Composition requirement.
- SAT I math score of 550+
- SAT II math score of 550+ on Level I, IC, II or IIC
- ACT math score of 23+
- AP Mathematics score of 3+
- AP Statistics score of 3+
- Completion and transfer of a college level course that satisfies the math requirement.
Students who took the Early Assessment Program (EAP) exams during their high school junior year and passed SHOULD MAKE SURE SAC STATE RECEIVED A COPY OF YOUR PASSING SCORE. IF YOU DID NOT SPECIFY SCORES TO BE SUBMITTED TO SAC STATE, WE WILL NOT HAVE PROOF OF YOUR SCORES AND YOU WILL NOT BE PERMITTED TO REGISTER FOR CLASSES.
Students who CONDITIONALLY passed the EAP exam (and were required to take a math course during their high school senior year) should make sure Admissions and Records has a high school transcript with a passing grade in that course.
For more detailed list of exemptions, visit admissions.
Out-of-state students have two options for fulfilling the ELM/EPT requirement:
- Make arrangements with ETS testing center by calling (925) 808-2142 or emailing them at firstname.lastname@example.org. The EPT exam fee is $20 and ELM exam fee is $20. The out-of-state testing fee is $75, in addition to the test fees. This fee is non-refundable.
- Contact Admissions & Records for details on a temporary exemption by calling (916) 278-7766.
Students who are required to take the ELM and/or EPT exams are urged to take the earliest possible exam to guarantee Sac State receives the test score results in time for Orientation and class registration.
|Test Date||Registration Deadline||Scores Available Week of...|
|March 18, 2017*||March 3, 2017||April 10, 2017|
|April 1, 2017||March 17, 2017||May 1, 2017|
|May 6, 2017*†||April 21, 2017||May 29, 2017|
*All CSU campuses give both EPT and ELM on these dates.
**Systemwide Test Date and Deadline Date to take Exam for Fall Term
† If you are enrolling for the fall term, this date is the deadline for taking the EPT and/or ELM for this campus.
Click here for more information and sign-up for one of the exams.