Welcome to the Department of Physics and Astronomy
The Department of Physics and Astronomy at Sacramento State has been preparing students for graduate school, teaching careers, and industrial employment for over forty years. Based in Sequoia Hall, overlooking the American River, our students interact closely with faculty members in and out of the classroom. Educators of the highest quality and excellent laboratory facilities have led Sac State Physics Alumni to graduate programs at institutions such as MIT, Berkeley, Stanford, Princeton, and Harvard not to mention wonderful careers in government, private industry, and education.
Looking for the Physics and Astronomy Colloquium Series?
In the News:
- Our inaugural newsletter is now online! In case you missed getting a copy of it in your inbox (did you forget to inform Alumni Association of your current email address?), you can find it here.
- Our newest degree option, Bachelor of Science in Physics, Applied Physics Concentration, will hit the catalog effective Fall 2015! This program was designed for those interested in a program of study designed for careers in industry. For more information, please contact Dr. DeGraffenreid or see the Applied Physics program page.
- We are pleased to welcome two new tenure-track faculty members: Mikkel Jensen and Michael Ray. Prof. Jensen is a experimental biophysicist with an interest in the dynamics of cells. He post-doc'ed at Harvard University and earned his PhD from Boston University. Prof. Ray is an experimental physicist who studies quantum behavior of solids and gases at extremely low temperatures. He did post-docs at Berkeley and Amherst College. He earned his PhD at the University of Massachusetts.
- We are pleased to announce the Prof. Josh Moss has been awarded a three-year grant from the National Science Foundation to remain a member of the ATLAS Experiment at the Large Hadron Collider at CERN.
- Congratulations to graduates from Spring 2015: Robby Beard, Thor Barrera, Peter Vu, James Kennedy, Elizabeth Keys, Christopher Keys, John Wilson, Sean Nuttall, and Garrett Thompson!